Ryan Hunter-Reay has opened this weekend's IndyCar double-header at Toronto by setting the pace in practice.
The Andretti driver moved to the top with 15 minutes remaining with a 1m00.6082s lap, leaving him just 0.07 seconds clear of the 1m00.6851s effort delivered by Josef Newgarden on his final run.
Ryan Briscoe finished up third fastest ahead of Tristan Vautier and Marco Andretti, both of whom improved right at the end. RLL's James Jakes, who had held the top spot through most of the session, was shuffled down to eighth.
The morning was interrupted twice by red flags; the first being triggered when Will Power went off and stalled at Turn 3, and the latter coming when Dario Franchitti brushed the wall exiting Turn 5.
Power was also involved in an incident with Penske teammate Helio Castroneves in the final minute, but despite finishing up with a damaged front wing the Australian still managed to post the sixth-fastest time.
As well as being the only opportunity to prepare cars for first qualifying later today, the session also featured a set of staging lights at the end of pitlane, with all drivers required to complete at least one practice standing start ahead of the first IndyCar-sanctioned standing start race tomorrow.
Pos Driver Team/Engine Time Gap
1. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti/Chevy 1m00.6082s
2. Josef Newgarden Fisher/Honda 1m00.6851s +0.0769s
3. Ryan Briscoe Panther/Chevy 1m00.6890s +0.0808s
4. Tristan Vautier Schmidt/Honda 1m00.7016s +0.0934s
5. Marco Andretti Andretti/Chevy 1m00.7174s +0.1092s
6. Will Power Penske/Chevy 1m00.8987s +0.2905s
7. Tony Kanaan KV/Chevy 1m00.9041s +0.2959s
8. James Jakes Rahal/Honda 1m00.9096s +0.3014s
9. Dario Franchitti Ganassi/Honda 1m00.9518s +0.3436s
10. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon/Chevy 1m00.9535s +0.3453s
11. James Hinchcliffe Andretti/Chevy 1m00.9556s +0.3474s
12. Scott Dixon Ganassi/Honda 1m00.9660s +0.3578s
13. Justin Wilson Coyne/Honda 1m00.9713s +0.3631s
14. Alex Tagliani Herta/Honda 1m00.9989s +0.3907s
15. Charlie Kimball Ganassi/Honda 1m01.1137s +0.5055s
16. Helio Castroneves Penske/Chevy 1m01.1784s +0.5702s
17. Graham Rahal Rahal/Honda 1m01.3196s +0.7114s
18. EJ Viso Andretti/Chevy 1m01.3598s +0.7516s
19. Sebastian Saavedra Dragon/Chevy 1m01.7237s +1.1155s
20. Takuma Sato Foyt/Honda 1m01.7904s +1.1822s
21. Simona de Silvestro KV/Chevy 1m01.8553s +1.2471s
22. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt/Honda 1m01.9192s +1.3110s
23. Mike Conway Coyne/Honda 1m02.0817s +1.4735s
24. Ed Carpenter Carpenter/Chevy 1m02.9043s +2.2961s
All drivers use Dallara DW12 chassis