Ryan Hunter-Reay topped a wet warm-up session ahead of Sunday's IndyCar race on the Sao Paulo street circuit.
A combination of the weather and a proliferation of red flags made it difficult for drivers to do any meaningful running, but Andretti's Hunter-Reay capitalized on the slightly improved conditions toward the end of the session to post a lap of 1m36.3690s.
KV Racing's EJ Viso was second quickest with a time 0.6sec slower than Hunter-Reay's, with polesitter Will Power (Penske) third ahead of Justin Wilson (Dale Coyne Racing). Rubens Barrichello (KV Racing) and Mike Conway (AJ Foyt Racing) rounded out the top six.
The morning was littered with trips into escape roads and minor spins, although the only incident of any real consequence occurred when Takuma Sato (Rahal Letterman Lanigan) ran into Tony Kanaan (KV Racing), earning himself a drive-through penalty. The clash completed an eventful morning for Kanaan, who had earlier run up the escape road at Turn 11.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti DW12-Chevy 1m36.0166s
2. EJ Viso KV DW12-Chevy 1m36.9978s + 0.9812s
3. Will Power Penske DW12-Chevy 1m37.3034s + 1.2868s
4. Justin Wilson Dale Coyne DW12-Honda 1m37.3878s + 1.3712s
5. Rubens Barrichello KV DW12-Chevy 1m37.4397s + 1.4231s
6. Mike Conway Foyt DW12-Honda 1m37.4434s + 1.4268s
7. Marco Andretti Andretti DW12-Chevy 1m37.4996s + 1.4830s
8. Ryan Briscoe Penske DW12-Chevy 1m37.5037s + 1.4871s
9. James Jakes Dale Coyne DW12-Honda 1m37.8588s + 1.8422s
10. Takuma Sato Rahal DW12-Honda 1m37.9436s + 1.9270s
11. Helio Castroneves Penske DW12-Chevy 1m37.9561s + 1.9395s
12. Charlie Kimball Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m37.9947s + 1.9781s
13. JR Hildebrand Panther DW12-Chevy 1m38.1349s + 2.1183s
14. Dario Franchitti Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m38.1644s + 2.1478s
15. Simona de Silvestro HVM DW12-Lotus 1m38.2589s + 2.2423s
16. James Hinchcliffe Andretti DW12-Chevy 1m38.4268s + 2.4102s
17. Graham Rahal Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m38.4818s + 2.4652s
18. Scott Dixon Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m38.6086s + 2.5920s
19. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon DW12-Lotus 1m39.0190s + 3.0024s
20. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt DW12-Honda 1m39.0997s + 3.0831s
21. Josef Newgarden Fisher DW12-Honda 1m39.4682s + 3.4516s
22. Tony Kanaan KV DW12-Chevy 1m40.5161s + 4.4995s
23. Ed Carpenter Carpenter DW12-Chevy 1m41.0073s + 4.9907s
24. Ana Beatriz Andretti DW12-Chevy 1m41.7506s + 5.7340s
25. Oriol Servia Dreyer & Reinbold DW12-Lotus 1m41.7599s + 5.7433s
26. Katherine Legge Dragon DW12-Lotus 1m49.1418s + 13.1252s