Fujitsu Racing's Lee Holdsworth went back to back as he took pole position for race two of the Sydney Telstra 500 on the streets of Homebush.
Holdsworth went to the top with four minutes remaining in a twice-interrupted session, temporarily losing pole to Jamie Whincup before taking it back on his next lap. Whincup looked set to challenge on his final lap but a session which had seen him on the edge saw him push a little too hard and he had to settle for second.
Third was Mark Winterbottom, a driver ruing both red flags, both times on laps that were significantly faster than pole position at that time, so only being third-fastest was probably a little bit unlucky and disappointing.
Jason Bright followed on from his race one result with fourth fastest, with Holden Racing Team's Will Davison in fifth closely followed by Michael Caruso. Todd Kelly was seventh fastest, Tander in the second HRT car eighth with Craig Lowndes and Tim Slade completing the top 10.
Championship leader James Courtney didn't qualify as high as he would have hoped, a couple of moments for him seeing him 12th fastest. His teammate and yesterday's winner Jonathon Webb will start 18th, just behind fellow teammate Steven Johnson.
Paul Dumbrell's troubles this weekend continued today, 25th fastest after dragging the tires onto the track at the Turn 6/7 chicane which caused the first red flag.
Pos Driver Car Time
1. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE2 1m28.7999s
2. Jamie Whincup Holden Commodore VE2 1m28.8741s +0.0742s
3. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG 1m28.9571s +0.1572s
4. Jason Bright Holden Commodore VE2 1m28.9634s +0.1635s
5. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE2 1m29.0895s +0.2896s
6. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE2 1m29.1014s +0.3015s
7. Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE2 1m29.1865s +0.3866s
8. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE2 1m29.2146s +0.4147s
9. Craig Lowndes Holden Commodore VE2 1m29.2808s +0.4809s
10. Tim Slade Ford Falcon FG 1m29.2921s +0.4922s
11. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE2 1m29.4562s +0.6563s
12. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG 1m29.4834s +0.6835s
13. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE2 1m29.4835s +0.6836s
14. Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG 1m29.5053s +0.7054s
15. Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG 1m29.5060s +0.7061s
16. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG 1m29.5512s +0.7513s
17. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG 1m29.5657s +0.7658s
18. Jonathon Webb Ford Falcon FG 1m29.6784s +0.8785s
19. Greg Murphy Holden Commodore VE2 1m29.7918s +0.9919s
20. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE2 1m29.8041s +1.0042s
21. Karl Reindler Holden Commodore VE 1m29.8817s +1.0818s
22. Andrew Thompson Holden Commodore VE2 1m29.9771s +1.1772s
23. Fabian Coulthard Holden Commodore VE 1m29.9926s +1.1927s
24. Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE2 1m30.1602s +1.3603s
25. Paul Dumbrell Ford Falcon FG 1m30.3791s +1.5792s
26. Warren Luff Holden Commodore VE2 1m30.5409s +1.7410s
27. Dean Fiore Ford Falcon FG 1m30.5802s +1.7803s
28. Andrew Jones Holden Commodore VE2 1m31.3673s +2.5674s
29. Tony Ricciardello Holden Commodore VE2 1m31.7883s +2.9884s