Fujitsu Racing's Lee Holdsworth has taken pole position for race one of the Sydney Telstra 500 on the streets of Homebush.
Holdsworth was seventh fastest before the shootout, but a clean lap on a slightly damp track paid off for him, taking pole by just under a tenth of a second from Mark Winterbottom, who also moved up six places in the shootout from eighth beforehand.
Quickest before the shootout, reigning series champion and championship challenger Jamie Whincup could only manage third in the shootout, just 0.0019sec slower than Winterbottom. However, a red flag in the middle of qualifying meant that at one point he and fellow championship contender James Courtney wouldn't make the shootout at all and be mired down the grid.
Holdsworth's teammate Michael Caruso was fourth fastest, followed by Tim Slade in a rare shootout run in fifth place. Ninth before the shootout, championship leader James Courtney moved up three places just like at Sandown to qualify sixth.
Todd Kelly dropped from fifth to seventh after a poor lap, just ahead of Alex Davison, while Russell Ingall fell from third to ninth and Shane van Gisbergen from second to 10th after laps they'd rather forget.
Just outside the top 10 in 11th is Craig Lowndes, closely followed by Ingall's teammate Greg Murphy and Fabian Coulthard in a car that made heavy contact with the wall in Friday practice.
Both Holden Racing Team cars struggled in qualifying, Will Davison in 17th while Garth Tander will start from 22nd. Jason Bright, who was fastest in Friday practice, will start 28th after causing a red flag when he dropped oil on the circuit after taking too much curb at one of the chicanes.
He will be one place ahead of last race winner Paul Dumbrell however, who hit the wall for the third time in two days and failed to set a representative time.
Pos Driver Car Time
1. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE2 1m29.8733s
2. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG 1m29.9723s + 0.0990s
3. Jamie Whincup Holden Commodore VE2 1m29.9742s + 0.1009s
4. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE2 1m30.2246s + 0.3513s
5. Tim Slade Ford Falcon FG 1m30.4875s + 0.6142s
6. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG 1m30.7006s + 0.8273s
7. Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE2 1m30.8628s + 0.9895s
8. Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG 1m30.9382s + 1.0649s
9. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE2 1m31.7551s + 1.8818s
10. Shane van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG 1m39.7771s + 9.9038s
11. Craig Lowndes Holden Commodore VE2 1m29.7620s - 0.1113s
12. Greg Murphy Holden Commodore VE2 1m29.8892s + 0.0159s
13. Fabian Coulthard Holden Commodore VE 1m29.8924s + 0.0191s
14. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE2 1m29.9401s + 0.0668s
15. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG 1m29.9599s + 0.0866s
16. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG 1m29.9652s + 0.0919s
17. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE2 1m30.0541s + 0.1808s
18. Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE2 1m30.2396s + 0.3663s
19. Karl Reindler Holden Commodore VE 1m30.2518s + 0.3785s
20. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE2 1m30.4270s + 0.5537s
21. Jonathon Webb Ford Falcon FG 1m30.4839s + 0.6106s
22. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE2 1m30.5001s + 0.6268s
23. Warren Luff Holden Commodore VE2 1m30.5256s + 0.6523s
24. Andrew Thompson Holden Commodore VE2 1m30.8640s + 0.9907s
25. Andrew Jones Holden Commodore VE2 1m31.0835s + 1.2102s
26. Dean Fiore Ford Falcon FG 1m31.1422s + 1.2689s
27. Tony Ricciardello Holden Commodore VE2 1m32.0542s + 2.1809s
28. Jason Bright Holden Commodore VE2 1m33.0175s + 3.1442s
29. Paul Dumbrell Ford Falcon FG 1m42.4795s +12.6062s