Johnny Herbert claimed the final Speedcar pole position of the season in qualifying in Bahrain today. The Briton edged out two fellow former grand prix winners, Jean Alesi and Heinz-Harald Frentzen, with the trio's best laps all covered by just 0.144sec.
Alesi had held the top spot for the majority of the 45-minute session, but Herbert secured pole just three minutes from the end.
Frentzen, too, jumped ahead of Alesi and the Frenchman was unable to respond when he had to pull off the circuit with a mechanical problem during his final qualifying run.
Vitantonio Liuzzi and Gianni Morbidelli will line up fourth and fifth for Saturday's first race, with Damien Pasini completing the top six.
Pos Driver Team Time
1. Johnny Herbert JMB 2m07.095s
2. Heinz-Harald Frentzen Continental Circus +0.053s
3. Jean Alesi HPR +0.144s
4. Vitantonio Liuzzi UP Team +0.471s
5. Gianni Morbidelli Palm Racing +0.643s
6. Damien Pasini JMB +1.214s
7. Christopher Zoechling Continental Circus +1.369s
8. David Terrien West Tec +1.463s
9. Hasher Al-Maktoum UP Team +1.504s
10. Chris Buncombe West Tec +1.527s
11. Marchy Lee HPR +1.595s
12. Tomas Biagi Palm Racing +1.838s
13. Nicolas Navarro Durango +2.206s
14. Ramez Azzam Scuderia Giudici +3.154s
15. Massimo Cioci Durango +4.444s
16. Gianni Giudici Scuderia Giudici +6.304s