Jack Hawksworth made a huge last-lap gain to secure pole for the Firestone Indy Lights race around the streets of Baltimore.
The Briton was already on the top spot as the drivers headed out for their final run. He found an extra half a second and a crucial pole position was his.
Carlos Munoz improved to earn a front-row starting position in his Andretti Autosport car. His improvement bumped Gabby Chaves to third, while Sage Karam, who held pole early on, but damaged his nose later in the session, will start fourth.
Following a crash in practice in the morning, Peter Dempsey's Belardi Auto Racing team had to make some swift repairs and the Irishman lines up fifth.
There were two red flags in the session, both caused by Giancarlo Serenelli. He was barred from taking part in the rest of the session as a punishment.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Jack Hawksworth Schmidt 1m24.4910s
2. Carlos Munoz Andretti 1m24.9924s +0.5014s
3. Gabby Chaves Schmidt 1m24.9938s +0.5028s
4. Sage Karam Schmidt 1m25.1211s +0.6301s
5. Peter Dempsey Belardi 1m25.5112s +1.0202s
6. Zach Veach Andretti 1m25.6487s +1.1577s
7. Matthew Di Leo MDL/Dragffy 1m26.4814s +1.9904s
8. Dalton Kellett Pabst 1m26.6269s +2.1359s
9. Jorge Goncalvez Belardi 1m26.8998s +2.4088s
10. Giancarlo Serenelli Belardi
11. Juan Pablo Garcia Moore