DAMS driver Rio Haryanto secured his first series pole position in qualifying for the Auto GP races at Brno.
Haryanto, who made his debut in the series this year at the first event at Monza, set a fastest lap of 1m42.985s, just over five hundredths of a second faster than longtime session leader Luca Filippi's 1m43.040s.
In an attempt to leapfrog the series debutant in the closing moments of qualifying, Filippi pushed too much on his final run, ran wide at Turn 6 and spun his Super Nova Racing entry out of contention.
Ombra Racing's Kevin Ceccon, who was also a contender for pole position early on, lay just over a tenth behind the squabbling front row men and will line up third. His main championship rival, Giovanni Venturini, fared less well during his first qualifying session at Brno and will start 11th.
Fabrizio Crestani took his strong second free practice pace into the session, qualifying fourth with a 1m43.151s lap. Series newcomer Jon Lancaster will line up just behind the Italian in fifth for Super Nova Racing and will share the third row with Lazarus's Fabio Onidi.
Sergei Afanasiev ended the session in seventh, just ahead of TP Formula's Samuele Buttarelli. Bruno Mendez, who posted the fastest time in the second free practice session, secured ninth place as the chequered flag fell, demoting Adrien Tambay to 10th as a result.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Rio Haryanto DAMS 1m42.985s
2. Luca Filippi Super Nova 1m43.040s + 0.055s
3. Kevin Ceccon Ombra 1m43.119s + 0.134s
4. Fabrizio Crestani Lazarus 1m43.151s + 0.166s
5. Jon Lancaster Super Nova 1m43.190s + 0.205s
6. Fabio Onidi Lazarus 1m43.277s + 0.292s
7. Samuele Buttarelli TP 1m43.440s + 0.455s
8. Sergei Afanasiev DAMS 1m43.486s + 0.501s
9. Bruno Mendez Campos 1m43.514s + 0.529s
10. Adrien Tambay Gravity-Charouz/DAMS 1m43.559s + 0.574s
11. Giovanni Venturini Durango 1m43.844s + 0.859s
12. Pasquale di Sabatino TP 1m44.198s + 1.213s
13. Marco Barba Campos 1m44.431s + 1.446s
14. Giuseppe Cipriani Durango 1m45.615s + 2.630s
15. Francesco Dracone Emmebi 1m46.910s + 3.925s