McLaren's Lewis Hamilton led the way in the second free practice session for the Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos.
Amid continued perfect weather at the Sao Paulo track, Hamilton spent the vast majority of the afternoon at the head of the order.
His first serious lap time of the session – a 1m13.852s – put him on top from the 11th minute to the 49th, and was only beaten when others switched to the softer tires.
It was Michael Schumacher's Mercedes that deposed Hamilton, as the former champion put in a 1m13.723s. But six minutes later Hamilton was back out on soft rubber too, improving to first 1m13.653s, then the 1m13.392s that would keep him on top to the end.
Sebastian Vettel eventually claimed second for Red Bull, 0.167sec off Hamilton's pace, and just ahead of RBR teammate Mark Webber. Fernando Alonso was the leading Ferrari driver in fourth, with Schumacher staying among the frontrunners in fifth.
Felipe Massa completed the top six for Ferrari, while Jenson Button spent a long spell just behind teammate Hamilton in second before falling to seventh as he did not make a particular large pace jump on softs. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) and the Force Indias of Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta completed the top 10.
The only notable incident of the session was a gearbox failure for Sergio Perez, which stranded his Sauber on the climb out of Juncao with a few minutes to go.
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m13.392s 35
2. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m13.559s + 0.167 41
3. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m13.587s + 0.195 41
4. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m13.598s + 0.206 35
5. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m13.723s + 0.331 38
6. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m13.750s + 0.358 39
7. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m13.787s + 0.395 36
8. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m13.872s + 0.480 42
9. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m14.144s + 0.752 41
10. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m14.807s + 1.415 48
11. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m14.856s + 1.464 38
12. Bruno Senna Renault 1m14.931s + 1.539 37
13. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m14.970s + 1.578 32
14. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m15.019s + 1.627 45
15. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m15.264s + 1.872 44
16. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m15.388s + 1.996 41
17. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m15.679s + 2.287 43
18. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1m15.903s + 2.511 40
19. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1m16.298s + 2.906 36
20. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 1m16.338s + 2.946 48
21. Jerome D'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1m18.031s + 4.639 39
22. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m18.051s + 4.659 45
23. Daniel Ricciardo HRT-Cosworth 1m18.367s + 4.975 42
24. Tonio Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth 1m18.476s + 5.084 42
All Timing Unofficial