Lewis Hamilton remained on top for McLaren as the rain held off in the second Canadian Grand Prix practice session in Montreal on Friday.
After going quickest in the morning, Hamilton barely let anyone else have a look in at the head of the order in the afternoon, moving to the front for the first time after 14 minutes with a 1m15.895s lap. That time then came down and down – the Briton eventually reaching a best of 1m15.439s on soft tires.
He then went slightly faster still at the start of a long super soft run just before the session's halfway point, lapping in 1m15.259s, a time that would stand as the best of the day.
Fernando Alonso came closest to deposing Hamilton. The Ferrari driver had a wild spin through the Turn 8/9 chicane early on, visited the grass there again shortly after, but avoided damage and eventually got to within 0.054sec of taking the top spot. His team-mate Felipe Massa was less than a tenth slower in third.
Sebastian Vettel took fourth in the leading Red Bull, ahead of an impressive performance from Force India's Paul di Resta in fifth. Kamui Kobayashi's Sauber was sixth.
Mercedes duo Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg lined up seventh and 10th, sandwiching the second Force India of Nico Hulkenberg and Jenson Button's McLaren. The latter only made it out for the final 18 minutes of the session as his car required a gearbox change following its morning oil leak.
Like the morning session, practice two also featured a single red flag just after the mid-point. This time it was Bruno Senna in the wars, as he spun his Williams backwards into the wall at the final chicane -shattering one of the team's funky new rear wings among other things.
Caterham managed to repair Heikki Kovalainen's car after the Finn's practice one crash and he was able to join the action half an hour in, eventually taking 16th place.
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m15.259s 43
2. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m15.313s + 0.054 36
3. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m15.410s + 0.151 39
4. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m15.531s + 0.272 44
5. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m15.544s + 0.285 32
6. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m15.651s + 0.392 37
7. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m15.697s + 0.438 32
8. Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 1m15.799s + 0.540 39
9. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m15.812s + 0.553 14
10. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m15.878s + 0.619 40
11. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m15.898s + 0.639 38
12. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m15.907s + 0.648 41
13. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault 1m15.987s + 0.728 39
14. Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1m16.360s + 1.101 29
15. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus-Renault 1m16.562s + 1.303 33
16. Heikki Kovalainen Caterham-Renault 1m16.981s + 1.722 24
17. Bruno Senna Williams-Renault 1m17.022s + 1.763 22
18. Vitaly Petrov Caterham-Renault 1m17.075s + 1.816 41
19. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m17.124s + 1.865 41
20. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m17.716s + 2.457 34
21. Pedro de la Rosa HRT-Cosworth 1m18.908s + 3.649 27
22. Timo Glock Marussia-Cosworth 1m19.084s + 3.825 40
23. Narain Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth 1m19.378s + 4.119 21
24. Charles Pic Marussia-Cosworth 1m19.902s + 4.643 18
All Timing Unofficial