Lewis Hamilton led teammate Heikki Kovalainen in a McLaren one-two at the end of a very promising Hungarian Grand Prix practice day for the team.
Williams's Nico Rosberg was their closest challenger, with championship leader Jenson Button only 13th for Brawn.
After grabbing the top spot right at the end of the morning session, in the second session Kovalainen showed his best form early, setting a 1m22.126s on the softer tires after just 25 minutes. That earned him first place, which was where he remained for the next hour.
Hamilton looked like he might knock his teammate off the top at the start of his final run, but had to back off after encountering traffic. He found clear space at the third attempt, though, coming through to beat Kovalainen by 0.047sec.
Rosberg had closed to within 0.028sec of Kovalainen shortly beforehand, and held on for third. Mark Webber ended the day fourth, despite sitting out the final part of the session after a hydraulic problem on his Red Bull.
Kazuki Nakajima and Sebastian Vettel completed the top six in the second Williams and Red Bull respectively, ahead of Rubens Barrichello in the best of the Brawns.
Jarno Trulli was eighth despite parking trackside with an electrical failure early in the session. His Toyota was returned to the pits in time to be repaired and rejoin.
It was a troubled afternoon for Ferrari's Felipe Massa. The Brazilian had a number of trips off the road and ended up only 18th, albeit just a second off the McLarens' pace.
Toro Rosso's newcomer Jamie Alguersuari again stayed out of trouble, and improved on his morning time, but ended his first day as a Formula 1 driver at the foot of the timing screens.TIMES:
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:22.079 36
2. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:22.126 + 0.047 36
3. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:22.154 + 0.075 47
4. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:22.369 + 0.290 29
5. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:22.426 + 0.347 40
6. Vettel Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:22.550 + 0.471 30
7. Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes (B) 1:22.641 + 0.562 38
8. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:22.663 + 0.584 28
9. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber (B) 1:22.690 + 0.611 43
10. Glock Toyota (B) 1:22.751 + 0.672 45
11. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:22.763 + 0.684 38
12. Alonso Renault (B) 1:22.793 + 0.714 37
13. Button Brawn-Mercedes (B) 1:22.806 + 0.727 42
14. Kubica BMW-Sauber (B) 1:22.870 + 0.791 36
15. Piquet Renault (B) 1:22.927 + 0.848 36
16. Sutil Force India-Mercedes (B) 1:22.978 + 0.899 28
17. Fisichella Force India-Mercedes (B) 1:23.029 + 0.950 39
18. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:23.156 + 1.077 32
19. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:23.176 + 1.097 45
20. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:23.942 + 1.863 40
All Timing Unofficial