Simon Pagenaud heads the field at Le Mans for Peugeot after Benoit Treluyer made a routine pit stop from the lead in the #2 Audi R18.
Having passed the #9 and #7 Peugeots during the 18th hour, Treluyer continued to pull away as he sought to build up a gap before making his routine pit stop. This done, he shuffled back to third until the Peugeots made their own synchronized stops. He was running 30 seconds ahead of Pagenaud's second-placed #9 Peugeot when an incident dropped the third-placed #7 car out of the fight.
Alex Wurz ran straight on at Indianapolis 15 minutes before the turn of the hour, nosing the #7 Peugeot into the barrier. It was towed out of the gravel and Wurz was able to return to the pits with heavy damage to the front-right corner, and the right-front wheel wobbling on its hub. Anthony Davidson took over the car and left the garage four laps later, now lying in fourth place.
The #8 Peugeot, which had been delayed earlier in the race while a stuck brake balance control was fixed, lost more time when Stephane Sarrazin was called in to observe a stop-go penalty because the man on the refuelling hose did not have his visor in place during a refuelling stop.
Treluyer made a routine stop just before the turn of the hour, dropping to second behind Pagenaud.
Loic Duval lies fifth overall in the year-old ORECA Peugeot 908, while Julien Jousse leads the gasoline-powered LMP1s in the #16 despite an extended stop earlier in the race. Jousse is sixth, a lap ahead of Nicolas Prost in the Rebellion Lola.
Karim Ojjeh leads LMP2 in the Greaves Zytek by four laps from the #26 ORECA currently driven by Soheil Ayari.
In GTE Pro the #51 Ferrari of Giancarlo Fisichella enjoys a one-lap margin over the Antonio Garcia in the #73 Corvette, which now carries the hopes of Corvette Racing after Jan Magnussen crashed the #74 car out of the class lead.
The #56 BMW is third in class despite a brief off when it ran wide at Indianapolis, kicking up gravel which the #55 BMW then slid off on.
It's a case of last man standing in the GTE Am class since only four of the 10 starters are still running. Larbre Competition are running 1-2 with the #50 Corvette driven by Patrick Bornhauser a lap ahead of Jean-Phillippe Belloc in the team's #70 Porsche, which is in turn five laps clear of Jean-Marc Menahem's #83 Ferrari.
- Jan Magnussen lost control of the GTE Pro-leading #74 Chevrolet Corvette and crashed into the #63 Proton Porsche during the 17th hour, putting both cars out.
- Jean-Christophe Boullion crashed the Rebellion Lola-Toyota in the 14th hour at the Porsche Curves. He had been running eighth at the time of the shunt.
- Mike Rockenfeller was taken to hospital following a frightening accident that totally destroyed the #1 Audi in the seventh hour of the race. The German had been running third when he made contact with a GTE Ferrari at kink after Mulsanne. Audi later confirmed that the German would be kept in overnight for observation but that he was okay.
- The #3 Audi of Allan McNish crashed out of the race in the first hour having just taken second position. The Scot collected the #58 Luxury Racing Ferrari in the right-hander after the Dunlop Bridge. The heavy impact destroyed the car and McNish was taken to hospital for precautionary checks, but was later released with an all-clear.
- Both Aston Martin AMR Ones ran into trouble on the first lap of the race. Darren Turner spinning with mechanical trouble and Adrian Fernandez stopping out on the Mulsanne. The #007 car of Turner was recovered to the pits where it was discovered an alternator belt tensioner was to blame.
POSITIONS AFTER 19 HOURS
Pos Car Team Class Gap
1. #2 Audi Audi Sport Team Joest (LMP1)
2. #9 Peugeot Team Peugeot Total (LMP1) + 25.686
3. #8 Peugeot Peugeot Sport Total (LMP1) + 1 Lap
4. #7 Peugeot Peugeot Sport Total (LMP1) + 4 Laps
5. #10 Peugeot Team Oreca-Matmut (LMP1) + 10 Laps
6. #16 Pescarolo Pescarolo Team (LMP1) + 11 Laps
7. #12 Lola Rebellion Racing (LMP1) + 12 Laps
8. #22 Lola Kronos Racing (LMP1) + 16 Laps
9. #41 Zytek Greaves Motorsport (LMP2) + 19 Laps
10. #26 Oreca Signatech Nissan (LMP2) + 23 Laps
11. #33 Lola Level 5 Motorsports (LMP2) + 24 Laps
12. #49 OAK OAK Racing (LMP2) + 26 Laps
13. #51 Ferrari AF Corse (GTEP) + 29 Laps
14. #73 Corvette Corvette Racing (GTEP) + 30 Laps
15. #77 Porsche Team Felbermayr-Proton (GTEP) + 32 Laps
16. #76 Porsche IMSA Performance Matmut (GTEP) + 32 Laps
17. #56 BMW BMW Motorsport (GTEP) + 32 Laps
18. #36 HPD RML (LMP2) + 32 Laps
19. #55 BMW BMW Motorsport (GTEP) + 33 Laps
20. #40 Oreca Race Performance (LMP2) + 33 Laps
21. #75 Porsche Prospeed Competition (GTEP) + 34 Laps
22. #80 Porsche Flying Lizard Motorsports (GTEP) + 34 Laps
23. #35 OAK OAK Racing (LMP2) + 35 Laps
24. #50 Corvette Larbre Competition (GTEA) + 38 Laps
25. #70 Porsche Larbre Competition (GTEA) + 39 Laps
26. #83 Ferrari JMB Racing (GTEA) + 45 Laps
27. #65 Lotus Lotus Jetalliance (GTEP) + 45 Laps
28. #66 Ferrari JMW Motorsport (GTEP) + 50 Laps
29. #68 Ford Robertson Racing (GTEA) + 53 Laps
30. #44 Norma Extr (LMP2) + 96 Laps
31. #74 Corvette Corvette Racing (GTEP) + 61 Laps
32. #81 Porsche Flying Lizard Motorsports (GTEA) + 61 Laps
33. #48 Oreca Team Oreca-Matmut (LMP2) + 72 Laps
34. #63 Porsche Proton Competition (GTEA) + 73 Laps
35. #13 Lola Rebellion Racing (LMP1) Retired
36. #61 Ferrari AF Corse (GTEA) + 84 Laps
37. #59 Ferrari Luxury Racing (GTEP) + 89 Laps
38. #71 Ferrari AF Corse (GTEP) + 94 Laps
39. #88 Porsche Team Felbermayr-Proton (GTEP) + 103 Laps
40. #42 HPD Strakka Racing (LMP2) Retired
41. #60 Aston Gulf AMR Middle East (GTEA) Retired
42. #39 Lola PeCom Racing (LMP2) Retired
43. #89 Ferrari Hankook Team Farnbacher (GTEP) Retired
44. #58 Ferrari Luxury Racing (GTEP) + 136 Laps
45. #64 Lotus Lotus Jetalliance (GTEP) Retired
46. #57 Ferrari Krohn Racing (GTEA) Retired
47. #24 OAK OAK Racing (LMP1) Retired
48. #1 Audi Audi Sport Team Joest (LMP1) Retired
49. #5 Oreca Hope Racing (LMP1) Retired
50. #62 Ferrari CRS Racing (GTEA) Retired
51. #15 OAK OAK Racing (LMP1) Retired
52. #79 Aston Jota (GTEP) Retired
53. #20 Zytek Quifel-ASM Team (LMP1) Retired
54. #3 Audi Audi Sport North America (LMP1) Retired
55. #007 AMR-One Aston Martin Racing (LMP1) Retired
56. #009 AMR-One Aston Martin Racing (LMP1) Retired