Andre Lotterer leads the Le Mans 24 Hours for Audi by 23 seconds from the Peugeots of Sebastien Bourdais and Marc Gene.
The course was neutralised for just over 20 minutes after the #59 Luxury Racing Ferrari 458 crashed and erstwhile LMP2 leader David Hallyday took the nose off the #48 ORECA. After the dramatics of the previous hour, Anthony Davidson's work was undone by the safety car and after Gene took over the car it fell behind the #9 entry driven by Bourdais.
Lotterer took over the #2 Audi from Marcel Fassler, falling to third in the process, and on fresh tyres set a succession of quick laps - including the fastest one of the race. Bourdais responded by beating Lotterer's time, only for the #2 Audi to go faster still.
Peugeot pitted the #8 car just before the green flag and when it emerged, with Franck Montagny still at the wheel, the three factory 908s ran in formation, albeit with the #8 car a lap down, as Gene held station behind Bourdais. Montagny unlapped himself from Gene and then made himself large in Bourdais' mirrors.
When all three Peugeots broke for the pits shortly after the turn of the hour, Lotterer moved back into the lead.
Christophe Tinseau leads the denuded field of petrol-powered LMP1s by two laps in the #16 Pescarolo from the sole remaining Rebellion Lola, currently driven by Neel Jani, running in fifth and sixth overall. Nicolas Lapierre is a lap down on Jani in the delayed ORECA Peugeot 908.
Hallyday's accident ceded the lead of LMP2 to Tom Kimber-Smith in the Greaves Motorsport Zytek, and when Kimber-Smith pitted to hand over to Olivier Lombard shortly before the turn of the hour the Zytek held a one-lap advantage over Franck Mailleux in the #26 ORECA.
Oliver Gavin leads the GTE Pro field imperiously for Corvette Racing with a lap in hand over Toni Vilander in the #51 Ferrari, but teammate Olivier Beretta shunted the #73 Corvette just after the turn of the 17th hour.
Seth Nieman leads GTE Am in the #81 Flying Lizard Porsche.
- Jean-Christophe Boullion crashed the Rebellion Lola-Toyota in the 14th hour at the Porsche Curves. He had been running eighth at the time of the shunt.
- Mike Rockenfeller was taken to hospital following a frightening accident that totally destroyed the #1 Audi in the seventh hour of the race. The German had been running third when he made contact with a GTE Ferrari at kink after Mulsanne. Audi later confirmed that the German would be kept in overnight for observation but that he was okay.
- The #3 Audi of Allan McNish crashed out of the race in the first hour having just taken second position. The Scot collected the #58 Luxury Racing Ferrari in the right-hander after the Dunlop Bridge. The heavy impact destroyed the car and McNish was taken to hospital for precautionary checks, but was later released with an all-clear.
- Both Aston Martin AMR Ones ran into trouble on the first lap of the race. Darren Turner spinning with mechanical trouble and Adrian Fernandez stopping out on the Mulsanne. The #007 car of Turner was recovered to the pits where it was discovered an alternator belt tensioner was to blame.
POSITIONS AFTER 16 HOURS
Pos Car Team Class Gap
1. #9 Peugeot Team Peugeot Total (LMP1)
2. #7 Peugeot Peugeot Sport Total (LMP1) + 3.504
3. #2 Audi Audi Sport Team Joest (LMP1) + 35.943
4. #8 Peugeot Peugeot Sport Total (LMP1) + 1 Lap
5. #16 Pescarolo Pescarolo Team (LMP1) + 6 Laps
6. #12 Lola Rebellion Racing (LMP1) + 9 Laps
7. #10 Peugeot Team Oreca-Matmut (LMP1) + 10 Laps
8. #22 Lola Kronos Racing (LMP1) + 13 Laps
9. #41 Zytek Greaves Motorsport (LMP2) + 15 Laps
10. #26 Oreca Signatech Nissan (LMP2) + 17 Laps
11. #33 Lola Level 5 Motorsports (LMP2) + 19 Laps
12. #49 OAK OAK Racing (LMP2) + 21 Laps
13. #74 Corvette Corvette Racing (GTEP) + 23 Laps
14. #51 Ferrari AF Corse (GTEP) + 24 Laps
15. #35 OAK OAK Racing (LMP2) + 24 Laps
16. #73 Corvette Corvette Racing (GTEP) + 24 Laps
17. #80 Porsche Flying Lizard Motorsports (GTEP) + 25 Laps
18. #55 BMW BMW Motorsport (GTEP) + 25 Laps
19. #56 BMW BMW Motorsport (GTEP) + 26 Laps
20. #77 Porsche Team Felbermayr-Proton (GTEP) + 26 Laps
21. #76 Porsche IMSA Performance Matmut (GTEP) + 26 Laps
22. #36 HPD RML (LMP2) + 28 Laps
23. #75 Porsche Prospeed Competition (GTEP) + 28 Laps
24. #40 Oreca Race Performance (LMP2) + 30 Laps
25. #81 Porsche Flying Lizard Motorsports (GTEA) + 30 Laps
26. #50 Corvette Larbre Competition (GTEA) + 30 Laps
27. #70 Porsche Larbre Competition (GTEA) + 31 Laps
28. #63 Porsche Proton Competition (GTEA) + 34 Laps
29. #83 Ferrari JMB Racing (GTEA) + 37 Laps
30. #61 Ferrari AF Corse (GTEA) + 38 Laps
31. #65 Lotus Lotus Jetalliance (GTEP) + 38 Laps
32. #59 Ferrari Luxury Racing (GTEP) + 43 Laps
33. #66 Ferrari JMW Motorsport (GTEP) + 43 Laps
34. #68 Ford Robertson Racing (GTEA) + 44 Laps
35. #71 Ferrari AF Corse (GTEP) + 48 Laps
36. #88 Porsche Team Felbermayr-Proton (GTEP) + 57 Laps
37. #44 Norma Extr (LMP2) + 85 Laps
38. #58 Ferrari Luxury Racing (GTEP) + 90 Laps
39. #48 Oreca Team Oreca-Matmut (LMP2) + 26 Laps
40. #13 Lola Rebellion Racing (LMP1) Retired
41. #42 HPD Strakka Racing (LMP2) Retired
42. #60 Aston Gulf AMR Middle East (GTEA) Retired
43. #39 Lola PeCom Racing (LMP2) Retired
44. #89 Ferrari Hankook Team Farnbacher (GTEP) Retired
45. #64 Lotus Lotus Jetalliance (GTEP) Retired
46. #57 Ferrari Krohn Racing (GTEA) Retired
47. #24 OAK OAK Racing (LMP1) Retired
48. #1 Audi Audi Sport Team Joest (LMP1) Retired
49. #5 Oreca Hope Racing (LMP1) Retired
50. #62 Ferrari CRS Racing (GTEA) Retired
51. #15 OAK OAK Racing (LMP1) Retired
52. #79 Aston Jota (GTEP) Retired
53. #20 Zytek Quifel-ASM Team (LMP1) Retired
54. #3 Audi Audi Sport North America (LMP1) Retired
55. #007 AMR-One Aston Martin Racing (LMP1) Retired
56. #009 AMR-One Aston Martin Racing (LMP1) Retired