Jamie Green took his third consecutive DTM victory at the Norisring after sustaining pressure from Mattias Ekstrom throughout the second half of the race.
The Persson Mercedes driver inherited the lead in the early stages when pole-sitter Ralf Schumacher was penalized for a jump start. Green pulled away from Bruno Spengler in the first half of the race, but then came under pressure from Ekstrom when the Swede moved into second during the final round of pitstops.
Green's advantage over the Audi had been as much as five seconds, but Ekstrom chipped away through the final stint and spent the last 14 laps within a second of the 2008-spec Mercedes. The gap got as low as half a second, but Green was able to stay far enough ahead that Ekstrom was unable to launch an attack.
Championship leader Spengler was catching both of them toward the end, but there was not enough time for the Canadian to join the battle and he had to settle for third. Behind him, Oliver Jarvis scored his first points of the season with a solid fourth, while Timo Scheider took fifth after jumping Gary Paffett in the second round of pitstops.
Alexandre Premat and Martin Tomczyk completed the points, after both had tricky first laps. Tomczyk's car bogged down badly from fourth on the grid, dropping him to 13th, while Premat's actions were briefly investigated by the stewards after he spun Paul di Resta at Turn 2.
Pos Driver Car Time/Gap
1. Jamie Green Mercedes 1h08m05.282s
2. Mattias Ekstrom Audi + 0.591s
3. Bruno Spengler Mercedes + 1.910s
4. Oliver Jarvis Audi + 9.946s
5. Timo Scheider Audi + 12.315s
6. Gary Paffett Mercedes + 14.521s
7. Alexandre Premat Audi + 15.834s
8. Martin Tomczyk Audi + 16.100s
9. Maro Engel Mercedes + 22.154s
10. Paul di Resta Mercedes + 31.536s
11. Ralf Schumacher Mercedes + 31.979s
12. Mike Rockenfeller Audi + 34.790s
13. David Coulthard Mercedes + 35.751s
14. Franky Cheng Mercedes + 1 lap
15. Susie Stoddart Mercedes + 1 lap
16. Katherine Legge Audi + 1 lap
Miguel Molina Audi 29 laps
Markus Winkelhock Audi 16 laps