Audi driver Jamie Green headed Gary Paffett in DTM practice at Lausitz.
In what was an ultra-strong session for Audi, its drivers held the top spot on the timesheets for 80 of the 90 minutes and filled four of the top six positions by the chequered flag.
Green had run inside the top six for most of the session, and went fastest with five minutes remaining in a time of 1m18.104s; three tenths of a second outside last year's fastest qualifying time. That lap knocked his Abt Sportsline team-mate Timo Scheider off the top spot, and Paffett was able to squeeze his HWA Mercedes into second – 0.019sec slower than Green – with a little over a minute to go.
Scheider fell to third with Robert Wickens in the second HWA car next up and Adrien Tambay in the third Abt car completing the top five.
Brands Hatch race winner Mike Rockenfeller was sixth in his Phoenix Audi. Championship leader Bruno Spengler was the best of the BMW drivers in seventh for Schnitzer.
Mattias Ekstrom, Pascal Wehrlein and Edoardo Mortara completed the top 10; the Italian having a late spin at Turn 4.
The only other significant incidents were an early spin for Timo Glock at Turn 5 and Robert Merhi running off-course at Turn 1 and negotiating his way around the tyre barriers on the Lausitz oval before resuming the track.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Jamie Green Abt Audi 1m18.104s
2. Gary Paffett HWA Mercedes 1m18.133s + 0.029s
3. Timo Scheider Abt Audi 1m18.207s + 0.103s
4. Robert Wickens HWA Mercedes 1m18.244s + 0.140s
5. Adrien Tambay Abt Audi 1m18.324s + 0.220s
6. Mike Rockenfeller Phoenix Audi 1m18.397s + 0.293s
7. Bruno Spengler Schnitzer BMW 1m18.399s + 0.295s
8. Mattias Ekstrom Abt Audi 1m18.440s + 0.336s
9. Pascal Wehrlein Mucke Mercedes 1m18.466s + 0.362s
10. Edoardo Mortara Rosberg Audi 1m18.477s + 0.373s
11. Christian Vietoris HWA Mercedes 1m18.644s + 0.540s
12. Daniel Juncadella Mucke Mercedes 1m18.644s + 0.540s
13. Timo Glock MTEK BMW 1m18.675s + 0.571s
14. Miguel Molina Phoenix Audi 1m18.690s + 0.586s
15. Roberto Merhi HWA Mercedes 1m18.723s + 0.619s
16. Dirk Werner Schnitzer BMW 1m18.734s + 0.630s
17. Marco Wittmann MTEK BMW 1m18.800s + 0.696s
18. Martin Tomczyk RMG BMW 1m18.864s + 0.760s
19. Filipe Albuquerque Rosberg Audi 1m18.913s + 0.809s
20. Joey Hand RBM BMW 1m19.108s + 1.004s
21. Andy Priaulx RMG BMW 1m19.263s + 1.159s
22. Augusto Farfus RBM BMW 1m19.307s + 1.203s