GP2 Asia championship leader Kamui Kobayashi took a step closer to securing the title by taking pole position for the first race of this weekend's finale in Bahrain.
The Japanese driver only set the second quickest time in the qualifying session, behind his DAMS teammate Jerome D'Ambrosio, but will start from the front because D'Ambrosio has to serve a 10-place grid penalty from his black flag in the last race in Malaysia.
D'Ambrosio's penalty not only gives Kobayashi pole, but also the two points that come with it, edging him closer to claiming the series crown.
Piquet GP's drivers repeated their front-running form from the day's earlier practice session and Roldan Rodriguez and Diego Nunes will start tomorrow's first race from second and third.
Pastor Maldonado (ART), Luiz Razia (Arden) and Giedo van der Garde (iSport) complete the first three rows of the grid.
Vitaly Petrov's already slim title chances were all but erased when, after completing just two laps in practice, he qualified 20th.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Jerome D'Ambrosio DAMS 1m43.752s
2. Kamui Kobayashi DAMS 1m43.863s +0.111
3. Roldan Rodríguez Piquet 1m43.910s +0.158
4. Diego Nunes Piquet 1m44.014s +0.262
5. Pastor Maldonado ART 1m44.101s +0.349
6. Luiz Razia Arden 1m44.141s +0.389
7. Giedo van der Garde iSport 1m44.174s +0.422
8. Davide Valsecchi Durango 1m44.310s +0.558
9. Javier Villa Super Nova 1m44.319s +0.567
10. Alvaro Parente Meritus 1m44.321s +0.569
11. Karun Chandhok Ocean 1m44.472s +0.720
12. Marco Bonanomi Meritus 1m44.477s +0.725
13. Sergio Perez Barwa 1m44.546s +0.794
14. James Jakes Super Nova 1m44.552s +0.800
15. Davide Rigon Trident 1m44.649s +0.897
16. Hamad Al-Fardan iSport 1m44.673s +0.921
17. Sakon Yamamoto ART 1m44.705s +0.953
18. Rodolfo Gonzalez FMS 1m44.747s +0.995
19. Edoardo Mortara Arden 1m44.864s +1.112
20. Vitaly Petrov Barwa 1m44.879s +1.127
21. Michael Herck DPR 1m44.921s +1.169
22. Giacomo Ricci DPR 1m45.676s +1.924
23. Fabio Crestani Ocean 1m45.837s +2.085
24. Kevin Chen FMS 1m46.428s +2.676
25. Ricardo Teixeira Trident 1m46.485s +2.733
26. Michael Della Stelle Durango 1m46.702s +2.950