Dario Franchitti and Scott Dixon were the first drivers to break into the 60-second range in opening practice for the Honda Indy Toronto, the 10th round of the 2012 IZOD IndyCar Series season. Simon Pagenaud in third made it three Hondas topping the charts ahead of five Chevrolets, fastest of whom was Tony Kanaan.
Unfortunately the session was marred by two incidents, both involving Justin Wilson. The first came when Wilson's car locked up in the pits and hit four crew members – one of his own at Dale Coyne Racing and three Dragon crew members in the pit in front of it.
A medical update from IndyCar medical director Dr. Michael Olinger indicated Michael Cole (Coyne) and Daniel Martin (Dragon) were treated and released from the infield care center. Dragon crewmembers Chuck Homan (leg) and Raffi Aroyan (ankle) were transferred to St. Michael's Hospital for further evaluation of their injuries.
Wilson, who was then stationary until the final minutes of the session, then had another issue when he nearly collided with Alex Tagliani's car, which was in the wall at Turn 8. Wilson had to take evasive action to avoid contact with Tagliani's car and hit the wall himself, causing front wing damage.
“I came down pit lane and the car refused to go into neutral," Wilson said after the incidents. "So I was stuck in first, I couldn't get neutral, and, on top of that, these carbon brakes don't work when they're cold, so was hard on the brakes and I couldn't stop. At the last second I tried to dive into the wall to take speed off, but those guys were there and had no idea I was coming and even diving to the wall I still hit them. I really hope they are OK.”
“I turned the corner and saw that the track was blocked and that Tag was in the wall,” Wilson added on the Tagliani incident. “I couldn't stop, so rather than hit him head-on I just turned back and hit the wall. It was just a horrible session. We'll just have to regroup and hopefully get back out for the next session.”
The second session will go green just before 2 p.m. Eastern.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Dario Franchitti Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m00.8972s
2. Scott Dixon Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m00.9415s + 0.0443s
3. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt DW12-Honda 1m01.0500s + 0.1528s
4. Tony Kanaan KV DW12-Chevy 1m01.0548s + 0.1576s
5. Will Power Penske DW12-Chevy 1m01.0764s + 0.1792s
6. EJ Viso KV DW12-Chevy 1m01.1214s + 0.2242s
7. Ryan Briscoe Penske DW12-Chevy 1m01.2260s + 0.3288s
8. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti DW12-Chevy 1m01.2480s + 0.3508s
9. Helio Castroneves Penske DW12-Chevy 1m01.4202s + 0.5230s
10. Takuma Sato Rahal DW12-Honda 1m01.4414s + 0.5442s
11. Graham Rahal Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m01.4653s + 0.5681s
12. Oriol Servia Panther/DRR DW12-Chevy 1m01.5347s + 0.6375s
13. Alex Tagliani Herta DW12-Honda 1m01.6317s + 0.7345s
14. Charlie Kimball Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m01.7253s + 0.8281s
15. James Hinchcliffe Andretti DW12-Chevy 1m01.9272s + 1.0300s
16. Mike Conway Foyt DW12-Honda 1m01.9506s + 1.0534s
17. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon DW12-Chevy 1m01.9605s + 1.0633s
18. Marco Andretti Andretti DW12-Chevy 1m01.9673s + 1.0701s
19. JR Hildebrand Panther DW12-Chevy 1m02.0021s + 1.1049s
20. James Jakes Coyne DW12-Honda 1m02.0316s + 1.1344s
21. Simona de Silvestro HVM DW12-Lotus 1m02.1949s + 1.2977s
22. Ed Carpenter Carpenter DW12-Chevy 1m02.2212s + 1.3240s
23. Rubens Barrichello KV DW12-Chevy 1m02.4649s + 1.5677s
24. Justin Wilson Coyne DW12-Honda
25. Josef Newgarden Fisher DW12-Honda