Robin Frijns extended his championship lead in Formula Renault 3.5 with a lights-to-flag victory in the first race of the weekend at the Hungaroring.
The Fortec driver resisted constant pressure from Kevin Magnussen, who appeared to have a slight edge on pace but never recovered from losing two seconds to the race leader with a high-speed off at Turn 11 on lap seven.
Up to that point, Magnussen had closed the gap down to 0.4 seconds, reeling Frijns in after the poleman had streaked off into a comfortable lead with a superb start and opening couple of laps.
Magnussen then chipped away at what had become a 2.4 second lead, getting it down to as low as 1.2sec by the start of the final lap. But Frijns didn't put a wheel wrong all race to take his third win of the season.
Behind the two rookies, Jules Bianchi moved into second place in the championship with a lonely race to third. The Frenchman did just enough to keep Antonio Felix da Costa out of reach, after the Red Bull-backed driver was one of the few front-runners to pull off an overtaking move when he relegated Arthur Pic to fifth place at Turn 1 on lap nine.
Pic held off Nico Muller for the rest of the race, with Carlos Huertas next up ahead of a slow-starting Marco Sorensen, who lost three places in the first two corners.
At the tail end of the top 10, title contender Sam Bird managed to salvage a point from what has so far been a difficult weekend, pressuring Lucas Foresti into a mistake and slipping through when the DAMS driver locked up at Turn 2.
However, that did little to limit the damage in the title race. Bird is now 29 points behind Frijns, having started the day just five adrift. Bianchi has slipped to 16 behind the Dutchman.
Pos Driver Team Time/Gap
1. Robin Frijns Fortec 46m24.229s
2. Kevin Magnussen Carlin + 1.636s
3. Jules Bianchi Tech 1 + 12.201s
4. Antonio Felix da Costa Arden Caterham + 15.802s
5. Arthur Pic DAMS + 19.692s
6. Nico Muller Draco + 20.487s
7. Carlos Huertas Fortec + 24.726s
8. Marco Sorensen Lotus + 25.381s
9. Alexander Rossi Arden Caterham + 26.294s
10. Sam Bird ISR + 36.243s
11. Lucas Foresti DAMS + 43.367s
12. Kevin Korjus Lotus + 45.843s
13. Zoel Amberg Pons + 54.271s
14. Nick Yelloly Comtec + 55.270s
15. Andre Negrao Draco + 56.044s
16. Jake Rosenzweig ISR + 1m00.355s
17. Daniil Move P1 + 1m01.361s
18. Daniel Abt Tech 1 + 1m02.223s
19. Tamas Pal Kiss BVM Target + 1m14.622s
20. Walter Grubmuller P1 + 1m22.658s
21. Vittorio Ghirelli Comtec + 1m27.801s
22. Yann Cunha Pons + 1m28.306s
23. Will Stevens Carlin + 1m28.647s
Aaro Vainio RFR 26 laps
Mikhail Aleshin RFR 1 lap
Nikolay Martsenko BVM Target 0 laps