Robin Frijns continued his strong pre-season form by topping the first day of Formula Renault 3.5 testing at Aragon on Wednesday.
The Fortec driver, who has been in the top five of every day of testing so far this year, spent most of the afternoon at the top of the time sheets, deposing morning pacesetter Arthur Pic and keeping Marco Sorenson at bay as the Lotus driver improved toward the end.
Frijns, the reigning Formula Renault Eurocup champion, admitted that his afternoon performance had to make up for a scrappy morning in Spain.
"I did everything wrong this morning," he said. "I went off three times, but we knew that the car was going well.
"I had a technical problem and that gave me time to work on my data for a while and analyze my mistakes, and this afternoon we had everything under control."
Pic's morning time was good enough to leave him second on the day, while Sorenson's afternoon time moved him ahead of the best laps set by Kevin Korjus and GP2 race winner Sam Bird, who completed the top five.
The test also featured a run-through of a start procedure after the lunch break, with teams going through the process of forming up on the grid and completing a formation lap, before returning to the pits to continue with testing.
Pos Driver Team Time
1. Robin Frijns Fortec Motorsports 1m39.340s
2. Arthur Pic Dams 1m39.579s +0.239
3. Marco Sorensen Lotus 1m39.748s +0.408
4. Kevin Korjus Tech 1 Racing 1m39.760s +0.420
5. Sam Bird Isr 1m39.835s +0.495
6. Richie Stanaway Lotus 1m39.908s +0.568
7. Walter Grubmüller P1 Motorsport 1m39.976s +0.636
8. Nico Müller International Draco Racing 1m39.988s +0.648
9. Daniil Move P1 Motorsport 1m39.998s +0.658
10. Will Stevens Carlin 1m40.175s +0.835
11. Jake Rosenzweig Isr 1m40.277s +0.937
12. Nick Yelloly Comtec Racing 1m40.316s +0.976
13. Zoel Amberg Pons Racing 1m40.374s +1.034
14. Jules Bianchi Tech 1 Racing 1m40.419s +1.079
15. Kevin Magnussen Carlin 1m40.627s +1.287
16. Andre Negrao International Draco Racing 1m40.657s +1.317
17. Carlos Huertas Fortec Motorsports 1m40.690s +1.350
18. Alexander Rossi Arden Caterham 1m40.709s +1.369
19. Nicolay Martsenko Bvm Target 1m40.757s +1.417
20. Anton Nebylitskiy Team Rfr 1m40.801s +1.461
21. Lucas Foresti Dams 1m40.871s +1.531
22. Giovanni Venturini Bvm Target 1m40.900s +1.560
23. Mikhail Aleshin Team Rfr 1m40.978s +1.638
24. Vittorio Ghirelli Comtec Racing 1m41.499s +2.159
25. Lewis Williamson Arden Caterham 1m41.511s +2.171
26. Yann Cunha Pons Racing 1m42.687s +3.347