Dario Franchitti continued to set the pace on the opening day of practice for this weekend's IndyCar race in Toronto, the Scot backing up his fastest time in the morning by again going quickest in the second session.
Franchitti delivered a best time of 1m00.2786s to put himself ahead of Schmidt Hamilton's Simon Pagenaud by 0.1sec, although the Ganassi driver was forced to sit out the closing minutes after glancing the barriers.
"I hope being fast in both the morning and afternoon session is good for tomorrow," said Franchitti, who has won the race two of the past three years. "Scott [Dixon] and I have been going in two different directions on setup and I ran two different setups – and both were pretty good so I am not sure what direction we'll go with setup tomorrow.
"Typical Toronto, it's as challenging as ever – from concrete to asphalt, smooth to bumps and areas with no grip. For day one we are happy with the Target car and we'll make some changes to go faster tomorrow and try to stay up front."
Teammate Dixon was third fastest ahead of Justin Wilson (Dale Coyne Racing), who ended his session in the Turn 8 barriers for the second time today. The Briton crashed while trying to avoid Alex Tagliani's spun car in the morning, however no other cars appeared to be involved in his second accident. Wilson was unhurt.
Penske's Ryan Briscoe was fifth-fastest and quickest of the Chevrolet-powered drivers, with teammates Helio Castroneves and Will Power just below him on the timing screens.
As was the case in the first session, running time was interrupted by a handful of red flags, with accidents or mechanical problems sidelining Josef Newgarden (Sarah Fisher Hartman), Graham Rahal (Ganassi) and James Hinchcliffe (Andretti Autosport).
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Dario Franchitti Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m00.2786s
2. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt DW12-Honda 1m00.3904s + 0.1118s
3. Scott Dixon Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m00.5423s + 0.2637s
4. Justin Wilson Coyne DW12-Honda 1m00.6485s + 0.3699s
5. Ryan Briscoe Penske DW12-Chevy 1m00.6936s + 0.4150s
6. Helio Castroneves Penske DW12-Chevy 1m00.7017s + 0.4231s
7. Will Power Penske DW12-Chevy 1m00.7817s + 0.5031s
8. Mike Conway Foyt DW12-Honda 1m00.8381s + 0.5595s
9. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti DW12-Chevy 1m00.8760s + 0.5974s
10. Takuma Sato Rahal DW12-Honda 1m00.8783s + 0.5997s
11. Alex Tagliani Herta DW12-Honda 1m00.9297s + 0.6511s
12. Charlie Kimball Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m00.9382s + 0.6596s
13. Tony Kanaan KV DW12-Chevy 1m00.9972s + 0.7186s
14. James Jakes Coyne DW12-Honda 1m01.0277s + 0.7491s
15. Oriol Servia Panther/DRR DW12-Chevy 1m01.0437s + 0.7651s
16. Graham Rahal Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m01.0666s + 0.7880s
17. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon DW12-Chevy 1m01.1248s + 0.8462s
18. Rubens Barrichello KV DW12-Chevy 1m01.1308s + 0.8522s
19. Simona de Silvestro HVM DW12-Lotus 1m01.1471s + 0.8685s
20. Marco Andretti Andretti DW12-Chevy 1m01.1863s + 0.9077s
21. EJ Viso KV DW12-Chevy 1m01.2646s + 0.9860s
22. JR Hildebrand Panther DW12-Chevy 1m01.4655s + 1.1869s
23. Ed Carpenter Carpenter DW12-Chevy 1m02.1890s + 1.9104s
24. James Hinchcliffe Andretti DW12-Chevy
25. Josef Newgarden Fisher DW12-Honda