Dario Franchitti took Honda to the top of the times at Indianapolis for the first time this month after setting the fastest time in the fifth day of practice at the Brickyard on Wednesday.
The defending race winner's 224.236mph lap came late in the day as drivers settled into small packs to evaluate their cars' handling in traffic, but he also set the fastest non-towed lap of 218.789mph earlier on.
"It doesn't really count for much, but it's nice nonetheless," Franchitti said. "We're still very much in the preparation stage; we're making changes to the car and sometimes doing one- or two-lap runs.
"Really, the lap time came from being in the right place at the right time. It was when you got the tow and how big the tow was. For us, it was more important [to see] how the car was in traffic."
Panther's Townsend Bell came closest to matching Franchitti's time with his 223.716mph, just edging three-time "500" winner Helio Castroneves' 223.699mph.
The day passed largely without incident; the notable exception being when Dragon's Sebastian Saavedra prompted an early yellow after his car began shedding decals, and the available track time proved useful in helping some of the Indy rookies adjust to running in groups.
"I got to run in traffic at the end of the day, so that was good experience, a whole new experience for me, and I really enjoyed it," said AJ Foyt Enterprises' Conor Daly. "It was a little surprising. It's tough to really get close to people, so I think there's some stuff we can do with the car to help that. But I think mainly it's just me trying to figure out how to navigate traffic, so it should get better."
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Dario Franchitti Ganassi Dallara-Honda 40.1363s
2. Townsend Bell Panther Dallara-Chevy 40.2295s + 0.0932s
3. Helio Castroneves Penske Dallara-Chevy 40.2327s + 0.0964s
4. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti Dallara-Chevy 40.3420s + 0.2057s
5. Ryan Briscoe Ganassi Dallara-Honda 40.3945s + 0.2582s
6. Marco Andretti Andretti Dallara-Chevy 40.4056s + 0.2693s
7. EJ Viso Andretti Dallara-Chevy 40.4082s + 0.2719s
8. Alex Tagliani Herta Dallara-Honda 40.4768s + 0.3405s
9. Scott Dixon Ganassi Dallara-Honda 40.4837s + 0.3474s
10. Carlos Munoz Andretti Dallara-Chevy 40.4917s + 0.3554s
11. Ed Carpenter Carpenter Dallara-Chevy 40.5627s + 0.4264s
12. Takuma Sato Foyt Dallara-Honda 40.5761s + 0.4398s
13. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt Dallara-Honda 40.5996s + 0.4633s
14. James Hinchcliffe Andretti Dallara-Chevy 40.6009s + 0.4646s
15. JR Hildebrand Panther Dallara-Chevy 40.6658s + 0.5295s
16. James Jakes Rahal Dallara-Honda 40.6797s + 0.5434s
17. Oriol Servia Panther DRR Dallara-Chevy 40.6958s + 0.5595s
18. AJ Allmendinger Penske Dallara-Chevy 40.7069s + 0.5706s
19. Charlie Kimball Ganassi Dallara-Honda 40.7261s + 0.5898s
20. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon Dallara-Chevy 40.7333s + 0.5970s
21. Tristan Vautier Schmidt Dallara-Honda 40.7673s + 0.6310s
22. Tony Kanaan KV Dallara-Chevy 40.7755s + 0.6392s
23. Will Power Penske Dallara-Chevy 40.7759s + 0.6396s
24. Conor Daly Foyt Dallara-Honda 40.7870s + 0.6507s
25. Sebastian Saavedra Dragon Dallara-Chevy 40.8455s + 0.7092s
26. Josef Newgarden Fisher Dallara-Honda 40.8547s + 0.7184s
27. Justin Wilson Coyne Dallara-Honda 40.8767s + 0.7404s
28. Simona de Silvestro KV Dallara-Chevy 40.9353s + 0.7990s
29. Pippa Mann Coyne Dallara-Honda 40.9476s + 0.8113s
30. Graham Rahal Rahal Dallara-Honda 41.0728s + 0.9365s
31. Ana Beatriz Coyne Dallara-Honda 41.2249s + 1.0886s
32. Michel Jourdain Jr Rahal Dallara-Honda 41.2774s + 1.1411s