Target Chip Ganassi Racing remained atop the leader board following the first session of the final day of IZOD IndyCar Series Open Test at Sebring International Raceway. Franchitti's fast lap of 52.1464sec was almost identical to his fast time of yesterday, although still a few ticks behind teammate Scott Dixon's top time of Thursday.
Rubens Barrichello continued to impress, setting second-fastest time at 52.1615 in his KV Racing Technology entry, while JR Hildebrand in Panther Racing's similar Chevrolet-powered car was third at 52.2068.
Sebastien Bourdais got on track for the first time for Lotus Dragon Racing, taking over the car driven yesterday by Katherine Legge. He posted the 13th-fastest time among the 15 cars running laps, with a 53.299sec best. Legge was scheduled to be back in the car for the afternoon session.
"The car is fine," the Frenchman told IndyCar.com. "It's just a new car and we've got to figure it out.
"It's more what I'm used to and what my job is rather than worrying if we're going to get the car on the track. So nothing is ideal. We would have loved to get more done, but at least I will show up in St. Pete having done some laps in the car. And knowing a little bit, making sure the car was right and was doing everything it was expected to do, and to get the communication going with the engineers is what we need to address and to get the communication going with Lotus as well."
More details will follow after this afternoon's session.
Friday morning times:
Pos Driver Team/Car/Engine Time Gap
1. Dario Franchitti Ganassi DW12-Honda 52.1464
2. Rubens Barrichello KV DW12-Chevrolet 52.1615s + 0.0151s
3. JR Hildebrand Panther DW12-Chevrolet 52.2068s + 0.0604s
4. Scott Dixon Ganassi DW12-Honda 52.2221s + 0.0757s
5. Mike Conway Foyt DW12-Honda 52.3827s + 0.2363s
6. Takuma Sato Rahal DW12-Honda 52.3841s + 0.2377s
7. E.J. Viso KV DW12-Chevrolet 52.6990s + 0.5526s
8. Josef Newgarden Fisher DW12-Honda 52.8337s + 0.6873s
9. Charlie Kimball Ganassi DW12-Honda 52.8764s + 0.7300s
10. Alex Tagliani Barracuda DW12-Lotus 52.9308s + 0.7844s
11. Oriol Servia D&R DW12-Lotus 53.2237s + 1.0773s
12. Graham Rahal Ganassi DW12-Honda 53.2275s + 1.0811s
13. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon DW12-Lotus 53.2993s + 1.1529s
14. Tony Kanaan KV DW12-Chevrolet 53.5004s + 1.3540s
15. Ed Carpenter Carpenter DW12-Chevrolet 54.3574s + 2.2110s