Dario Franchitti turned the tables on Will Power as their battle continued in the second IndyCar practice session in Sao Paulo.
Power (Penske) had knocked Franchitti (Ganassi) off the top spot right at the close in opening practice on Saturday morning, but it was the Scot who returned the favour in practice two, his last-gasp 1m22.2611s beating Power by 0.0816sec.
Long-time pacesetter Ryan Hunter-Reay of Andretti Autosport was pushed back to third, with Franchitti's teammate Scott Dixon and Power's teammate Ryan Briscoe completing the top five.
Andretti held a 1-2 formation with Hunter-Reay and James Hinchcliffe for a while, with the Canadian ending up sixth. Underdogs Mike Conway (Foyt), Justin Wilson (Dale Coyne) and Josef Newgarden (Sarah Fisher) all broke into the top 10, which was completed by EJ Viso in the quickest KV car.
Although the dry weather continued, the session saw more interruptions than opening practice had. The first two stoppages were caused by Penske drivers – Briscoe spinning then Helio Castroneves crashing at the first chicane.
Red flag number three was required to retrieve the stranded cars of Takuma Sato Rahal Letterman Lanigan), Katherine Legge (Dragon) and Ana Beatriz (Andretti) from various parts of the course, and the session was then curtailed three minutes early when Newgarden went into the barriers and prompted another stoppage.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Dario Franchitti Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m22.2611s
2. Will Power Penske DW12-Chevy 1m22.3427s + 0.0816s
3. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti DW12-Chevy 1m22.3611s + 0.1000s
4. Scott Dixon Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m22.4266s + 0.1655s
5. Ryan Briscoe Penske DW12-Chevy 1m22.4404s + 0.1793s
6. James Hinchcliffe Andretti DW12-Chevy 1m22.6446s + 0.3835s
7. Mike Conway Foyt DW12-Honda 1m22.7082s + 0.4471s
8. Justin Wilson Dale Coyne DW12-Honda 1m22.7181s + 0.4570s
9. Josef Newgarden Fisher DW12-Honda 1m22.7301s + 0.4690s
10. EJ Viso KV DW12-Chevy 1m22.8191s + 0.5580s
11. Marco Andretti Andretti DW12-Chevy 1m22.8320s + 0.5709s
12. Helio Castroneves Penske DW12-Chevy 1m22.8573s + 0.5962s
13. Rubens Barrichello KV DW12-Chevy 1m22.9772s + 0.7161s
14. Graham Rahal Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m23.0972s + 0.8361s
15. JR Hildebrand Panther DW12-Chevy 1m23.1038s + 0.8427s
16. Tony Kanaan KV DW12-Chevy 1m23.1766s + 0.9155s
17. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt DW12-Honda 1m23.2940s + 1.0329s
18. Charlie Kimball Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m23.3399s + 1.0788s
19. Simona de Silvestro HVM DW12-Lotus 1m23.4205s + 1.1594s
20. Takuma Sato Rahal DW12-Honda 1m23.4361s + 1.1750s
21. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon DW12-Lotus 1m23.4866s + 1.2255s
22. Oriol Servia Dreyer & Reinbold DW12-Lotus 1m23.9460s + 1.6849s
23. Ana Beatriz Andretti DW12-Chevy 1m24.1085s + 1.8474s
24. Katherine Legge Dragon DW12-Lotus 1m25.4287s + 3.1676s
25. Ed Carpenter Carpenter DW12-Chevy 1m25.8987s + 3.6376s
26. James Jakes Dale Coyne DW12-Honda 1m26.5203s + 4.2592s