Dario Franchitti finished comfortably on top in the third IndyCar practice session at Sonoma. The Scot waited until the second half of the session before making his first appearance on the track and immediately shot to the top of the timing screens for Ganassi.
His fastest lap of 1m18.0988s, set on his first flying lap, was more than a second quicker than anyone else in the field at that point. That margin was reduced as others improved, but the lap that took Andretti driver Ryan Hunter-Reay to second-fastest was still more than 0.2sec off Franchitti's pace.
Sebastien Bourdais was third fastest for Dragon, ahead of Scott Dixon and Justin Wilson.
Qualifying follows at 2.30pm local time.
Pos Driver Team/Engine Time Gap
1. Dario Franchitti Ganassi/Honda 1m18.0988s
2. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti/Chevy 1m18.3542s +0.2554s
3. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon/Chevy 1m18.5513s +0.4525s
4. Scott Dixon Ganassi/Honda 1m18.5643s +0.4655s
5. Justin Wilson Coyne/Honda 1m18.5695s +0.4707s
6. Helio Castroneves Penske/Chevy 1m18.6593s +0.5605s
7. Marco Andretti Andretti/Chevy 1m18.7551s +0.6563s
8. Charlie Kimball Ganassi/Honda 1m18.7604s +0.6616s
9. Graham Rahal Rahal/Honda 1m18.7912s +0.6924s
10. Simona de Silvestro KV/Chevy 1m18.8062s +0.7074s
11. James Hinchcliffe Andretti/Chevy 1m18.8745s +0.7757s
12. James Jakes Rahal/Honda 1m18.8927s +0.7939s
13. Tristan Vautier Schmidt/Honda 1m18.9115s +0.8127s
14. Ryan Briscoe Panther/Chevy 1m18.9199s +0.8211s
15. Will Power Penske/Chevy 1m19.0436s +0.9448s
16. Sebastian Saavedra Dragon/Chevy 1m19.0843s +0.9855s
17. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt/Honda 1m19.0889s +0.9901s
18. Takuma Sato Foyt/Honda 1m19.0982s +0.9994s
19. EJ Viso Andretti/Chevy 1m19.1701s +1.0713s
20. JR Hildebrand Barracuda/Honda 1m19.1808s +1.0820s
21. Tony Kanaan KV/Chevy 1m19.7045s +1.6057s
22. Josef Newgarden Fisher/Honda 1m19.9050s +1.8062s
23. Lucas Luhr Fisher/Honda 1m20.3230s +2.2242s
24. James Davison Coyne/Honda 1m20.5516s +2.4528s
25. Ed Carpenter Carpenter/Chevy 1m20.9619s +2.8631s
All drivers use Dallara DW12 chassis