The Force India team has confirmed Paul di Resta as its test and reserve driver for the 2010 season.
The 23-year-old di Resta, who tested for the team in December last year, joins race drivers Tonio Liuzzi and Adrian Sutil at the Silverstone-based squad. The Scot is expected to drive the Force India car in some Friday practice sessions during grands prix this year.
"I would like to thank both Paul and J.R. Hildebrand for their commitment in the test in Jerez," said team principal Vijay Mallya. "Both worked very hard and were impressive in the test. We are very proud to have someone of Paul's caliber joining the team as his potential was clear in the test and he has the right attitude for making it in F1.
"The program we have put together will allow him to come to grips with the car, the team and the environment and various pressures associated with F1 and we look forward to this becoming a very fruitful partnership."
Di Resta, who has competed in the DTM championship over the last few years, was delighted to secure the deal.
"I am ecstatic to finally get the chance to move into F1 at last," he said. "I'm pleased I can start my F1 career with Force India, a team that has a lot of potential. I see this move as taking me one step closer to achieving my dream of racing in F1 but I know I have a lot to learn in terms of the car and the tracks right now.
"I think this program is a perfect way to prepare fully and be ready to go if and when the chance of a race seat comes. I hope this will be the start of a long-term future with Force India. With the support of all of the team, including Whyte & Mackay, I'm sure we will grow together."