Jonas Folger claimed his maiden 125cc victory after winning a battle with Ajo team-mate Johann Zarco in wet conditions at Silverstone.
Championship leader Nico Terol was a subdued eighth, losing his early lead as Folger and Zarco charged towards the front, and then fading as the race progressed.
There was little to choose between Zarco – eager to avenge the win he was denied by a penalty at Catalunya a week ago – and Folger for most of the race, as they escaped from the pack and swapped places on several occasions. But after taking the lead for the last time with four laps to go, Folger was able to pull clear and clinch his first win at world championship level with a 3.8-second margin. It was also the first victory of the season for the Ajo team which dominated with Marc Marquez in 2010.
Poleman Maverick Vinales made a steady start but was soon back up to third and closing on the two leaders, only to crash out. That allowed Aspar's Hector Faubel to take his first podium since returning to 125cc. Luis Salom and Adrian Martin took career best finishes in fourth and sixth respectively, split by Efren Vazquez.
Further back, four British riders made it home in the points as Danny Kent, Danny Webb, Taylor Mackenzie and John McPhee claimed 10th, 11th, 12th and 15th places.
Results - 17 laps:
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time/Gap
1. Jonas Folger Ajo Aprilia 43m48.862s
2. Johann Zarco Ajo Derbi + 3.885s
3. Hector Faubel Aspar Aprilia + 14.951s
4. Luis Salom RW Aprilia + 17.164s
5. Efren Vazquez Ajo Derbi + 17.403s
6. Adrian Martin Aspar Aprilia + 19.236s
7. Sandro Cortese Germany Aprilia + 21.609s
8. Nicolas Terol Aspar Aprilia + 25.167s
9. Jakub Kornfeil Ongetta Aprilia + 32.345s
10. Danny Kent Ajo Aprilia + 32.971s
11. Danny Webb Mahindra + 54.704s
12. Taylor Mackenzie Phonica Aprilia + 1m03.969s
13. Louis Rossi Matteoni Aprilia + 1m35.316s
14. Alexis Masbou Caretta KTM + 1m43.383s
15. John Mcphee KRP Aprilia + 1m45.973s
16. Niklas Ajo TT Motion Aprilia + 1m46.339s
17. Alberto Moncayo Andalucia Aprilia + 1m52.836s
18. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Ajo Derbi + 2m25.969s
19. Joan Perello Matteoni Aprilia + 2m36.732s
20. Alessandro Tonucci Italia Aprilia + 1 lap
Marcel Schrotter Mahindra 14 laps
Sergio Gadea Blusens Aprilia 12 laps
Maverick Vinales Blusens Aprilia 11 laps
Peter Sebestyen Caretta KTM 11 laps
Giulian Pedone Phonica Aprilia 11 laps
Simone Grotzkyj Phonica Aprilia 10 laps
Jasper Iwema Ongetta Aprilia 10 laps
Francesco Mauriello WTR-Ten10 Aprilia 6 laps
Sturla Fagerhaug WTR-Ten10 Aprilia 0 laps
Harry Stafford Ongetta Aprilia 0 laps