The FIA has decided to appeal the decision of the Tribunal de Grande Instance to overturn the motorsports bans handed down on Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds for their involvement in race fixing.
Last week, Briatore successfully won a court action against the FIA by claiming his indefinite ban from the sport had been wrong. The French court suggested that the punishments given to Briatore and Symonds were "irregular" – even though it did not disagree with the original guilty verdict given to the pair. Following discussions between FIA president Jean Todt and other representatives of his organization over the weekend, the international racing governing body has decided to appeal that French court's verdict.
A statement issued on Monday said: "The President of the FIA has consulted the FIA Senate and the FIA's lawyers about the decision of the Tribunal de Grande Instance de Paris of Jan. 5. It was unanimously agreed that an appeal would be prepared.
"In his election campaign last summer, FIA President Jean Todt and his team announced that new measures for constructive change, including a disciplinary procedure, would be introduced. Work on this is well advanced. Once in place, this will address the issues in the Court's judgment. Nonetheless, an appeal is merited."
The FIA has also made it clear that while the appeal is under way, it believes the decisions of the World Motor Sport Council are still valid – meaning Briatore and Symonds still cannot work in motorsport. However, the FIA has told Briatore-managed drivers that it will not enforce the original ban on issuing mandatory F1 Superlicenses to those whose careers are looked after by the former Renault boss.
"The FIA President, the FIA Senate, the World Motor Sport Council, and the FIA's Member Clubs from all countries will take whatever measures are necessary to ensure the continuing integrity and safety of the sport," the FIA statement added.