Ferrari is set to keep the F-duct on its car for the Italian Grand Prix, even though a number of outfits are poised to remove their systems for the low downforce Monza track.
The unique nature of Monza means there is theoretically little benefit to be had from stalling the rear wing – either through the straight-line speed advantage it brings or the extra downforce it allows you to run.
However, with the title fight so finely poised, teams may make their final decision about the F-duct after Friday practice in Monza – when they will have a better idea about its benefits and disadvantages.
However, Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali stated: "I have to say that at the moment the F-duct will stay on the car for Monza."
McLaren had previously been set to remove the system from its cars for the first time this season, but it is now expected to run back-to-back tests with and without it at Monza to verify whether taking it away helps or hinders its performance. Team principal Martin Whitmarsh said that his outfit would only go public with its plans when it arrived at the Italian Grand Prix.
"We have made our decision," he said. "We've got our plan and we know what we are doing – which will be seen when we get there."
Renault, whose F-duct helped deliver a big step forward in performance in Belgium last weekend, was also open-minded about its plans. Renault team principal Eric Boullier said: "I don't know the latest from [tech chief] James Allison, and I will check when we are back, but I am not sure we will have it for Monza.
"It is due to the fact that you develop a special aero package for Monza, and it is a big challenge to fit the F-duct on this. I am not sure, if you look at the ratio of drag/downforce, that it is a big gain."