Hector Faubel upstaged the 125cc title contenders to take his first pole position of the season at Aragon.
The 2007 125cc runner-up was brought back to the series by Aspar this year after three underwhelming seasons in 250cc/Moto2, and today's pole marks the first time he has topped qualifying since the '07 Sepang 125cc race.
Faubel did not look like a pole contender going into the closing stages as his points-leading teammate Nico Terol and Blusens rider Maverick Vinales fought it out. But, in the closing moments, Faubel came through with a 1m59.222s to deny Vinales a fourth pole of his rookie season by just 0.009sec.
Terol completes an all-Spanish front row, ahead of his title rival Johann Zarco (Ajo Derbi). Danny Kent (Ajo Aprilia) and Luis Salom (RW Aprilia) join Zarco on row two.
Vinales' new teammate Josep Rodriguez, replacing the Moto2-bound Sergio Gadea, was in the top 10 for a long while before slipping to 12th in the end. The Spanish championship frontrunner is making his fifth 125cc start after a handful of wild-card appearances.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Hector Faubel Aspar Aprilia 1m59.222s
2. Maverick Vinales Blusens Aprilia 1m59.231s + 0.009s
3. Nicolas Terol Aspar Aprilia 1m59.365s + 0.143s
4. Johann Zarco Ajo Derbi 1m59.598s + 0.376s
5. Danny Kent Ajo Aprilia 1m59.814s + 0.592s
6. Luis Salom RW Aprilia 1m59.902s + 0.680s
7. Sandro Cortese Germany Aprilia 2m00.011s + 0.789s
8. Alberto Moncayo Andalucia Aprilia 2m00.316s + 1.094s
9. Efren Vazquez Ajo Derbi 2m00.432s + 1.210s
10. Jonas Folger Ajo Aprilia 2m00.447s + 1.225s
11. Adrian Martin Aspar Aprilia 2m00.697s + 1.475s
12. Josep Rodriguez Blusens Aprilia 2m00.720s + 1.498s
13. Louis Rossi Matteoni Aprilia 2m00.786s + 1.564s
14. Jakub Kornfeil Ongetta Aprilia 2m00.845s + 1.623s
15. Marcel Schrotter Mahindra 2m00.853s + 1.631s
16. Miguel Oliveira Andalucia Aprilia 2m01.118s + 1.896s
17. Jasper Iwema Ongetta Aprilia 2m01.492s + 2.270s
18. Niklas Ajo TT Motion Aprilia 2m01.504s + 2.282s
19. Luigi Morciano Italia FMI Aprilia 2m02.064s + 2.842s
20. Alexis Masbou Caretta KTM 2m02.082s + 2.860s
21. Harry Stafford Ongetta Aprilia 2m02.119s + 2.897s
22. Alessandro Tonucci Italia FMI Aprilia 2m02.375s + 3.153s
23. Danny Webb Mahindra 2m02.400s + 3.178s
24. Giulian Pedone Phonica Aprilia 2m02.796s + 3.574s
25. Francesco Mauriello WTR-Ten10 Aprilia 2m02.881s + 3.659s
26. Sturla Fagerhaug WTR-Ten10 Aprilia 2m02.963s + 3.741s
27. Manuel Tatasciore Phonica Aprilia 2m03.153s + 3.931s
28. Taylor Mackenzie Phonica Aprilia 2m03.284s + 4.062s
29. Joan Perello Matteoni Aprilia 2m04.010s + 4.788s
30. Kevin Hanus Hanusch Honda 2m04.653s + 5.431s
31. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Ajo Derbi 2m04.654s + 5.432s
32. Pedro Rodriguez DVJ Aprilia 2m04.886s + 5.664s
33. Damien Raemy Caretta KTM 2m04.926s + 5.704s