Augusto Farfus put BMW at the top of the timesheets in the second DTM practice session at the Nurburgring on Saturday morning.
The RBM BMW driver lay fourth at the halfway point of the 90-minute session, but knocked Edoardo Mortara off the top spot with a lap of 1m23.917s with just four minutes remaining.
Farfus's effort was 0.236s faster than the Rosberg Audi driver's, Mortara having been ahead at the halfway point on 1m24.779s and then improved his time as practice wore on to 1m24.153s.
Martin Tomczyk's RMG BMW and Timo Scheider's Abt Audi completed the top four with Mike Rockenfeller, who had been fastest until the final few minutes, falling to fifth in his Phoenix Audi.
Andy Priaulx was the fastest of the British drivers and made it a good session for the RBM outfit with sixth spot while Bruno Spengler's Schnitzer M3 was next up.
The top 10 was completed by Friday pace-setter Filipe Albuquerque (Rosberg), Miguel Molina (Phoenix) and Dirk Werner (Schnitzer), with Jamie Green the best of the Mercedes drivers down in 14th in his HWA machine. As on Friday, the C-coupes set consistent lap times, but struggled to match the outright pace, suggesting that none ran on qualifying fuel loads during the session.
The only incident of note happened with 20 minutes to go when Adrien Tambay's Abt Audi ground to a halt at the Kurzangbindung hairpin. The Frenchman was unable to resume running.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Augusto Farfus RBM BMW 1m23.917s
2. Edoardo Mortara Rosberg Audi 1m24.153s + 0.236s
3. Martin Tomczyk RMG BMW 1m24.191s + 0.274s
4. Timo Scheider Abt Audi 1m24.199s + 0.282s
5. Mike Rockenfeller Phoenix Audi 1m24.217s + 0.300s
6. Andy Priaulx RBM BMW 1m24.295s + 0.378s
7. Bruno Spengler Schnitzer BMW 1m24.356s + 0.439s
8. Filipe Albuquerque Rosberg Audi 1m24.417s + 0.500s
9. Miguel Molina Phoenix Audi 1m24.427s + 0.510s
10. Dirk Werner Schnitzer BMW 1m24.471s + 0.554s
11. Joey Hand RMG BMW 1m24.477s + 0.560s
12. Rahel Frey Abt Audi 1m24.597s + 0.680s
13. Mattias Ekstrom Abt Audi 1m24.664s + 0.747s
14. Jamie Green HWA Mercedes 1m24.668s + 0.751s
15. Robert Wickens Mucke Mercedes 1m24.692s + 0.775s
16. Gary Paffett HWA Mercedes 1m24.704s + 0.787s
17. David Coulthard Mucke Mercedes 1m24.840s + 0.923s
18. Roberto Merhi Persson Mercedes 1m24.944s + 1.027s
19. Ralf Schumacher HWA Mercedes 1m25.013s + 1.096s
20. Adrien Tambay Abt Audi 1m25.077s + 1.160s
21. Christian Vietoris HWA Mercedes 1m25.079s + 1.162s
22. Susie Wolff Persson Mercedes 1m25.085s + 1.168s