Augusto Farfus maintained his push for the DTM title by going fastest in practice for the penultimate round of the season at Zandvoort.
The RBM BMW driver, who is the only man that can deny Mike Rockenfeller this year's championship, ran inside the top five for most of the session, but hit the front with just eight minutes to go. His 1m31.904s lap knocked long-time leader Edoardo Mortara off the top spot by just over a tenth of a second.
Mortara blotted his copybook with a spin exiting the banked Tarzan corner late in the session, the Rosberg Audi driver momentarily blocking the track as he came to a halt and tried to engage a gear.
Third quickest was Abt Audi driver Adrien Tambay, who recovered from an early trip through the gravel at, ironically, the Audi S, to set his time, while Marco Wittmann and Martin Tomczyk completed the top five for, respectively, the MTEK and RMG BMW teams.
Rockenfeller was sixth fastest in his Phoenix Audi with 2012 title winner Bruno Spengler and two-time champion Timo Scheider next up.
Andy Priaulx was an encouraging 11th in his second RMG BMW while fellow Britons Jamie Green and Gary Paffett were only 14th and 18th.
Pos Driver Car Time Gap Laps
1. Augusto Farfus RBM BMW 1m31.904s 37
2. Edoardo Mortara Rosberg Audi 1m32.088s +0.184s 22
3. Adrien Tambay Abt Audi 1m32.138s +0.234s 35
4. Marco Wittmann MTEK BMW 1m32.193s +0.289s 34
5. Martin Tomczyk RMG BMW 1m32.204s +0.300s 25
6. Mike Rockenfeller Phoenix Audi 1m32.204s +0.300s 37
7. Bruno Spengler Schnitzer BMW 1m32.204s +0.300s 35
8. Timo Scheider Abt Audi 1m32.247s +0.343s 38
9. Miguel Molina Phoenix Audi 1m32.390s +0.486s 35
10. Christian Vietoris HWA Mercedes 1m32.395s +0.491s 38
11. Andy Priaulx RMG BMW 1m32.411s +0.507s 35
12. Filipe Albuquerque Rosberg Audi 1m32.450s +0.546s 36
13. Mattias Ekstrom Abt Audi 1m32.491s +0.587s 34
14. Jamie Green Abt Audi 1m32.507s +0.603s 39
15. Dirk Werner Schnitzer BMW 1m32.530s +0.626s 36
16. Timo Glock MTEK BMW 1m32.539s +0.635s 36
17. Joey Hand RBM BMW 1m32.542s +0.638s 34
18. Gary Paffett HWA Mercedes 1m32.727s +0.823s 33
19. Roberto Merhi HWA Mercedes 1m32.862s +0.958s 38
20. Daniel Juncadella Mucke Mercedes 1m32.945s +1.041s 41
21. Pascal Wehrlein Mucke Mercedes 1m32.953s +1.049s 37
22. Robert Wickens HWA Mercedes 1m33.022s +1.118s 30