Indian driver Karun Chandhok enjoyed a brief stint in Formula 1, completing a half-season with HRT in 2010, and returned in 2011 for a one-off with Team Lotus at Germany, but with limited options available, followed the familiar path to sports cars in 2012.
Two trips to the 24 Hours of Le Mans, a full season of FIA WEC competition in the P1 category and this year's move to the FIA GT series have kept the 29-year-old busy, but as he told RACER on Tuesday, a switch to America and the resumption of his open-wheel career is now under consideration.
“The money you need to go to Formula 1 these days is almost an impossibility, and so I'm looking at IndyCar,” he said. “I was open to the idea last year, actually, and spoke with a couple of teams. Right now, it's a question of time to get the sponsors in place, and possibly dipping my toe in the water by putting together a road course program and the Indy 500.”
Chandhok, who also does television commentary in the UK, hopes to pull from resources in India and elsewhere to assemble the necessary funding for an IndyCar campaign.
“We're trying to put sponsors together and looking at the right teams,” he added. “Even Tony Kanaan and Rubens Barrichello have had to bring money; it's a sign of the market, isn't it? I have some marketing agencies looking at sponsorship options over the next few weeks. I don't have anything to mention yet; I'm still in a fact-finding phase, so to speak.”
Having seen pace and rising fortunes of a few former competitors who've moved stateside, Chandhok appears to be drawn to IndyCar's relatively even playing field.
“A lot of my contemporaries – Mike Conway, E.J. Viso, and now Luca Filippi, my peers in F3 and GP2, are competitive again by going across the pond and have been very strong in IndyCar, so I think any driver who has won races in GP2 can race and be competitive in IndyCar,” he concluded.