Pol Espargaro took an emphatic Moto2 win at Silverstone.
The Spaniard started the race from pole position on his Pons Kalex, but found himself trailing fast-starting Britons Bradley Smith (Tech 3) and Scott Redding (Marc VDS Kalex) in the early stages of the race.
While Smith fell off the pace quite quickly, Redding managed to lead until the mid-point of the race. But with 11 laps to go Espargaro made his move into Stowe, before sprinting away to take a comfortable win.
Behind Espargaro, Redding and Marc Marquez (Monlau Suter) staged a thrilling fight for second place. Having spent the last 10 laps swapping positions, things got serious on the final lap, the pair trading blows right down to the last corner. But Redding did enough to hold on for a stunning second place, while Marquez took over the championship lead with third.
Andrea Iannone (Speed Master Speed Up) took fourth having run with the frontrunners throughout the race, although he did have to stave off a late challenge from Simone Corsi (Ioda FTR), who ended up fifth.
Smith made one of the starts of the season to lead into Abbey from the second row, but quickly found himself fighting with the bike. He ended up slipping down to seventh, book-ended by Claudio Corti (Italtrans Kalex) in sixth, and former championship leader Thomas Luthi (Paddock Suter) in eighth.
Results - 18 laps:
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time/Gap
1. Pol Espargaro Pons Kalex 38m29.792s
2. Scott Redding Marc VDS Kalex + 1.462s
3. Marc Marquez Monlau Suter + 1.521s
4. Andrea Iannone Speed Master Speed Up + 2.851s
5. Simone Corsi Ioda FTR + 3.803s
6. Claudio Corti Italtrans Kalex + 7.109s
7. Bradley Smith Tech 3 + 7.627s
8. Thomas Luthi Paddock Suter + 7.669s
9. Dominique Aegerter Technomag-CIP Suter + 15.847s
10. Mika Kallio Marc VDS Kalex + 20.179s
11. Alex de Angelis Forward Suter + 20.450s
12. Toni Elias Aspar Suter + 23.017s
13. Esteve Rabat Pons Kalex + 23.155s
14. Randy Krummenacher Switzerland Kalex + 23.236s
15. Ratthapark Wilairot Gresini Suter + 24.507s
16. Roberto Rolfo Technomag-CIP Suter + 26.418s
17. Max Neukirchner Kiefer Kalex + 28.043s
18. Mike di Meglio Speed Master Speed Up + 28.365s
19. Takaaki Nakagami Italtrans Kalex + 28.577s
20. Nicolas Terol Aspar Suter + 36.100s
21. Xavier Simeon Tech 3 + 39.473s
22. Julian Simon Avintia Suter + 39.718s
23. Ricard Cardus Arguinano AJR + 39.995s
24. Gino Rea Gresini Suter + 40.493s
25. Yuki Takahashi Forward Suter + 41.470s
26. Angel Rodriguez SAG Bimota + 1m02.611s
27. Anthony West QMMF Moriwaki + 1m05.324s
28. Alexander Lundh MZ + 1m08.938s
29. Marco Colandrea SAG FTR + 1m34.995s
30. Alessandro Andreozzi eparto FTR + 1m42.775s
31. Elena Rosell QMMF Moriwaki + 1m44.102s
32. Eric Granado JIR Motobi + 1m58.051s
Axel Pons Pons Kalex 7 laps
Johann Zarco JIR Motobi 1 lap