Pol Espargaro took pole position for the 125cc class at the Australian Grand Prix at Phillip Island, retaking the top spot on his final lap of the session.
Espargaro showed the way early in the session before championship leader Julian Simon took over halfway through. Espargaro took the top spot back with 12 minutes remaining but with three minutes remaining Simone Corsi put in a time of 1:38.126 to move to the top.
With 90 seconds remaining Espargaro retook pole only for Nico Terol to take the position just a few seconds later. But Espargaro stayed on it and with the session over, he put in a superb lap of 1:37.770 to put him quarter of a second ahead of his rivals.
Terol was second, just 18 thousandths of a second ahead of Simon, with Simone Corsi and championship contender Bradley Smith close behind in fourth and fifth.
Marc Marquez qualified in sixth place, having jumped up from 16th to second with five minutes remaining before dropping down the order in the flurry of the final few minutes, less than a second covering the top eleven riders on the grid.
Pos Rider Bike Time Gap
1. Pol Espargaro Derbi 1m37.770s
2. Nicolas Terol Aprilia 1m38.049s + 0.279
3. Julian Simon Aprilia 1m38.067s + 0.297
4. Simone Corsi Aprilia 1m38.136s + 0.366
5. Bradley Smith Aprilia 1m38.155s + 0.385
6. Marc Marquez KTM 1m38.292s + 0.522
7. Sandro Cortese Derbi 1m38.552s + 0.782
8. Andrea Iannone Aprilia 1m38.568s + 0.798
9. Joan Olive Derbi 1m38.578s + 0.808
10. Esteve Rabat Aprilia 1m38.588s + 0.818
11. Efren Vazquez Derbi 1m38.663s + 0.893
12. Stefan Bradl Aprilia 1m38.890s + 1.120
13. Lorenzo Zanetti Aprilia 1m39.101s + 1.331
14. Takaaki Nakagami Aprilia 1m39.229s + 1.459
15. Tomoyoshi Koyama Loncin 1m39.237s + 1.467
16. Sergio Gadea Aprilia 1m39.274s + 1.504
17. Dominique AegerterDerbi 1m39.354s + 1.584
18. Cameron Beaubier KTM 1m39.370s + 1.600
19. Johann Zarco Aprilia 1m39.390s + 1.620
20. Michael Ranseder Aprilia 1m39.426s + 1.656
21. Danny Webb Aprilia 1m39.521s + 1.751
22. Randy KrummenacherAprilia 1m39.596s + 1.826
23. Jonas Folger Aprilia 1m39.615s + 1.845
24. Scott Redding Aprilia 1m39.990s + 2.220
25. Luis Salom Aprilia 1m40.545s + 2.775
26. Jasper Iwema Honda 1m41.646s + 3.876
27. Jakub Kornfeil Loncin 1m42.082s + 4.312
28. Quentin Jacquet Aprilia 1m42.965s + 5.195
29. Luca Vitali Aprilia 1m43.436s + 5.666
30. Brad Gross Yamaha 1m44.027s + 6.257
31. Nicky Diles Aprilia 1m44.063s + 6.293
32. Luca Marconi Aprilia 1m44.109s + 6.339