Carl Edwards grabbed his second NASCAR Sprint Cup pole of the year in qualifying for Sunday's Texas Motor Speedway race.
One of the final drivers to run, Edwards produced a 27.535-second lap in his Roush Fenway Ford to beat 2012 champion Brad Keselowski's Penske entry to the top spot.
Just 0.084sec covered the top six drivers, with joint points leaders Jimmie Johnson and Matt Kenseth both within that blanket.
Johnson had held provisional pole for a while before Keselowski and Kenseth came through, despite a big moment on his qualifying lap. He ended up three places clear of Kenseth, as Paul Menard and Kyle Busch got between them.
Johnson's Hendrick team-mates Dale Earnhardt Jr. and last week's Martinsville winner Jeff Gordon share row four.
Hours after his 2014 Furniture Row deal was announced, Martin Truex Jr. was current employer Michael Waltrip's leading qualifier in 15th, while present Furniture Row man Kurt Busch was only 31st.
The elder Busch was one of a number of big names that newcomer Parker Kligerman outqualified, as the Nationwide Series graduate put Swan's Toyota 23rd.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Carl Edwards Roush Fenway Ford 27.535s
2. Brad Keselowski Penske Ford 27.537s +0.002s
3. Jimmie Johnson Hendrick Chevrolet 27.559s +0.024s
4. Paul Menard Childress Chevrolet 27.574s +0.039s
5. Kyle Busch Joe Gibbs Toyota 27.582s +0.047s
6. Matt Kenseth Joe Gibbs Toyota 27.619s +0.084s
7. Dale Earnhardt Jr Hendrick Chevrolet 27.648s +0.113s
8. Jeff Gordon Hendrick Chevrolet 27.668s +0.133s
9. Ricky Stenhouse Jr Roush Fenway Ford 27.674s +0.139s
10. Marcos Ambrose Petty Ford 27.688s +0.153s
11. Kasey Kahne Hendrick Chevrolet 27.740s +0.205s
12. Joey Logano Penske Ford 27.761s +0.226s
13. Ryan Newman Stewart-Haas Chevrolet 27.780s +0.245s
14. Denny Hamlin Joe Gibbs Toyota 27.781s +0.246s
15. Martin Truex Jr Waltrip Toyota 27.812s +0.277s
16. Juan Pablo Montoya Earnhardt Ganassi Chevrolet 27.863s +0.328s
17. Aric Almirola Petty Ford 27.884s +0.349s
18. Greg Biffle Roush Fenway Ford 27.890s +0.355s
19. Kevin Harvick Childress Chevrolet 27.892s +0.357s
20. Jeff Burton Childress Chevrolet 27.921s +0.386s
21. Austin Dillon Childress Chevrolet 27.931s +0.396s
22. Bobby Labonte JTG Daugherty Toyota 27.961s +0.426s
23. Parker Kligerman Swan Toyota 27.973s +0.438s
24. Jamie McMurray Earnhardt Ganassi Chevrolet 27.989s +0.454s
25. Elliott Sadler Waltrip Toyota 27.993s +0.458s
26. Clint Bowyer Waltrip Toyota 28.008s +0.473s
27. Casey Mears Germain Ford 28.030s +0.495s
28. David Gilliland Front Row Ford 28.118s +0.583s
29. David Ragan Front Row Ford 28.141s +0.606s
30. Danica Patrick Stewart-Haas Chevrolet 28.150s +0.615s
31. Kurt Busch Furniture Row Chevrolet 28.210s +0.675s
32. Trevor Bayne Wood Brothers Ford 28.221s +0.686s
33. Mark Martin Stewart-Haas Chevrolet 28.342s +0.807s
34. Josh Wise Front Row Ford 28.439s +0.904s
35. Michael McDowell Parsons Ford 28.523s +0.988s
36. Kyle Larson Phoenix Chevrolet 28.536s +1.001s
37. Landon Cassill Circle Sport Chevrolet 28.638s +1.103s
38. Travis Kvapil BK Toyota 28.671s +1.136s
39. David Reutimann BK Toyota 28.680s +1.145s
40. Timmy Hill FAS Lane Ford 28.719s +1.184s
41. Joe Nemechek NEMCO Toyota 28.839s +1.304s
42. Dave Blaney Baldwin Chevrolet 28.992s +1.457s
43. JJ Yeley Baldwin Chevrolet 36.845s +9.310s