Former GP2 team Durango has announced that it is applying for the 13th slot in the Formula 1 field next season.
The FIA has invited applications to take the World Championship entry left vacant by the collapse of US F1's F1 bid, and will also announce a reserve team. Applications must be received by April 15, with the FIA promising an announcement by July.
Durango dropped out of GP2 at the end of 2009 due to financial issues, but team boss Ivone Pinton said new investors had been found who preferred to work on an F1 program than to return to the feeder categories.
"After all the wrong things happened last season we tried our best to look for new partners in our racing activity," said Pinton. "It did not take too long to understand that the interest could be aroused just about Formula 1 and nothing else. So we pushed toward this direction and I can say that, to enter F1, we can now enjoy the backing of two very big international groups.
"So, even keeping the feet on the ground as we say in Italy, because up till now this is just a serious attempt, I like to consider that after so many years spent pushing young drivers to become future champions now the time has come to strongly push Durango as a team toward the motorsport pinnacle."
Prior to running in GP2, Durango was a regular in Formula 3000, and has also run arms in Formula 3 and sports cars among other series. It has entered the new Auto GP championship this season.