Timo Scheider set the pace in the first DTM free practice session at Zandvoort, leading an all-Audi clean sweep of the top four positions.
The Abt driver completed just 22 laps during the 90-minute session, the fourth lowest total of the entire field. But that did not stop him going fastest with a late effort of 1m32.708s.
Fresh from his heroics at Hockenheim a fortnight ago, Martin Tomczyk was once more the best of the drivers in old-spec machinery, the Phoenix driver 0.474sec slower than Scheider.
Swede Mattias Ekstrom (Abt) and Italian Edoardo Mortara (Rosberg) were next up in their 2009 and '08-spec A4s while David Coulthard was surprisingly the best of the Mercedes drivers in fifth in his older-spec C-class.
In fact, the older Mercedes had the edge on the more recent model as Persson drivers Christian Vietoris and Renger van der Zande both outpaced HWA's Jamie Green and Gary Paffett.
Oliver Jarvis (Abt) completed the top 10 ahead of championship leader Bruno Spengler's HWA Mercedes.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Timo Scheider Abt Audi 1m32.708s
2. Martin Tomczyk Phoenix Audi 1m33.182s + 0.474s
3. Mattias Ekstrom Abt Audi 1m33.298s + 0.590s
4. Edoardo Mortara Rosberg Audi 1m33.409s + 0.701s
5. David Coulthard Mucke Mercedes 1m33.416s + 0.708s
6. Christian Vietoris Persson Mercedes 1m33.505s + 0.797s
7. Renger van der Zande Persson Mercedes 1m33.656s + 0.948s
8. Jamie Green HWA Mercedes 1m33.732s + 1.024s
9. Gary Paffett HWA Mercedes 1m33.864s + 1.156s
10. Oliver Jarvis Abt Audi 1m33.916s + 1.208s
11. Bruno Spengler HWA Mercedes 1m33.919s + 1.211s
12. Mike Rockenfeller Abt Audi 1m34.040s + 1.332s
13. Filipe Albuquerque Rosberg Audi 1m34.048s + 1.340s
14. Maro Engel Mucke Mercedes 1m34.311s + 1.603s
15. Miguel Molina Abt Audi 1m34.371s + 1.663s
16. Susie Stoddart Persson Mercedes 1m34.524s + 1.816s
17. Ralf Schumacher HWA Mercedes 1m34.555s + 1.847s
18. Rahel Frey Phoenix Audi 1m35.471s + 2.763s