Robert Doornbos topped the A1GP free practice times for Team Netherlands as the series ran at the Algarve circuit for the first time.
The versatile IndyCar, Superleague and A1GP racer lapped just over four seconds slower than the top Formula 1 winter test time set on the slightly shorter version of the track that is being used this weekend. The layout misses out the full track's first chicane.
Behind the Netherlands car was the impressive New Zealand teenager Earl Bamber, who was just 0.058sec shy of the fastest time.
A great late effort moved Team Monaco and Clivio Piccione into third, denying series newcomer Vitantonio Liuzzi a top-three slot on his Team Italy debut.
Filipe Albuquerque was fifth fastest for Team Portugal, despite bringing out the red flags with an early spin, while championship leader Team Switzerland was sixth with Neel Jani.
Another A1 newcomer, Team Germany's Andre Lotterer, slotted in seventh, just ahead of Team France's Nicolas Prost, who had earlier topped the rookie session times.
Team Brazil was forced to miss the session after Bia Figueiredo suffered a massive shunt in the rookie session when she crashed head on into the tire barriers at Turn 1, in an accident similar to the one suffered by Heikki Kovalainen in last year's Spanish Grand Prix. She was fortunately unhurt in the high-speed impact.
Pos Driver Team Time
1. Robert Doornbos Netherlands 1:31.962
2. Earl Bamber New Zealand 1:32.030 + 0.068
3. Clivio Piccione Monaco 1:32.242 + 0.280
4. Vitantonio Liuzzi Italy 1:32.568 + 0.606
5. Filipe Albuquerque Portugal 1:32.570 + 0.608
6. Neel Jani Switzerland 1:32.635 + 0.673
7. Andre Lotterer Germany 1:32.762 + 0.800
8. Nicolas Prost France 1:32.894 + 0.932
9. Daniel Morad Lebanon 1:33.019 + 1.057
10. John Martin Australia 1:33.221 + 1.259
11. Adrian Zaugg South Africa 1:33.379 + 1.417
12. Narain Karthikeyan India 1:33.448 + 1.486
13. Marco Andretti USA 1:33.500 + 1.538
14. Adam Carroll Ireland 1:33.732 + 1.770
15. Fairuz Fauzy Malaysia 1:33.745 + 1.783
16. Ho-Pin Tung China 1:34.087 + 2.125
17. Zahir Ali Indonesia 1:35.064 + 3.102
18. Salvador Duran Mexico 1:56.253 + 24.291
19. Felipe Guimaraes Brazil no time
20. Dan Clarke Great Britain no time