The Chrysler Group's SRT (Street and Racing Technology) brand revealed the new 392 Appearance Package for the Dodge Charger SRT8 to attendees at the eighth annual Spring Festival of LXs' this past weekend in Irvine, Calif., where more than 1,000 different Chrysler, Dodge and SRT vehicles were on display by private owners. SRT President and CEO Ralph Gilles offered an exclusive first peek at the latest limited-edition exterior package, which is designed to offer a modern interpretation of the classic muscle-car styling cues of the Charger SRT8, the optional 392 Appearance Package adds an extra dose of menacing appearance for iconic four-door fastback coupe, with the following new appointments:
• Custom-designed gloss black "392 HEMI" fender badges with a charcoal grey metallic insert
• Center section of power bulge hood painted in Pitch Black
• Roof painted in Pitch Black
• New satin black SRT lower-body side stripe with heavy band and accent tracer stretching from front fascia, through doors to rear fascias
• Side mirrors painted in Pitch Black
• 20-inch, split five-spoke Black Vapor Chrome wheels
• Rear spoiler painted in Pitch Black
• Availability of five exterior colors: Bright White Clear Coat, Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat, Plum Crazy Pearl Coat, HEMI Orange Pearl Coat and TorRed Clear Coat
• "392" engine beauty covers under the hood
• Exclusive serialized dash placque showing production build number / 392
"The Spring Festival is the perfect location to debut our new 392 Appearance Package for the Dodge Charger SRT8 to some of our most dedicated and creative performance enthusiasts on the planet," said Gilles. "With its numerous new exterior appointments beyond our exclusive Black Vapor Chrome wheels, not only will this new 392 Appearance Package set the Charger SRT8 apart even further, it also brings another level of exclusivity to our lineup as only 392 cars will receive this special treatment during the 2013 and 2014 model years."
The 392 Appearance Package option will cost $2,495, and customers can begin ordering in April.
Powered by the 6.4-liter HEMI V8 engine that offers 470hp and 470 lb.-ft. of torque across a wide rpm range, performance numbers for the 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8 include 0-60 mph acceleration in the high 4-second range; quarter mile in the high 12-second range; 0-100-0 mph in less than 16 seconds; top speed of 175mph and stopping power from 60-0mph in 120 feet.
Even with the high horsepower and torque numbers, up to 23 mpg on the highway is achieved by the use of an active valve exhaust system that allows the standard Fuel Saver Technology (four-cylinder mode) to engage over a wide rpm range for efficient motoring or the use of all eight cylinders when the extra power is needed. The active valve exhaust system also allows for straight through mid and rear mufflers for a throaty exhaust note under engine load.
You can follow all SRT street and race news on Twitter at @driveSRT and Dodge CEO Ralph Gilles at @RalphGilles.
• SRT is an entire brand fueled by passion for street and racing technology. Five hallmarks set SRT apart: awe-inspiring powertrain; outstanding ride, handling and capability; benchmark braking; aggressive and functional exteriors; and race-inspired and high-performance interiors.
For the inside line on everything SRT, there's only one place to go: driveSRT.com. It serves up fresh factory insider stories, gets the facts and figures on every SRT product, and goes inside the race team car haulers and talks directly to the drivers. Then it delivers it all to you fast and first.