Scott Dixon set the pace as the IndyCar Series drivers finally took to the track at Kentucky Speedway for their sole pre-race practice session.
The half hour rookie practice, two hours of full field practice, the qualifying session and the 45-minute night practice scheduled for Friday all had to be cancelled after heavy overnight rain caused moisture to seep through the track surface.
Huge efforts by the track officials saw the problem resolved in time for today, only for further rain to cause an additional delay this afternoon.
A 75-minute session eventually took place at 4.15pm local time, giving the teams their first opportunity to try the reintroduced aerodynamic options and the new push to pass system that the Indy Racing League hopes will improve the quality of racing from this weekend. Practice hinted that there will be more wheel to wheel action, but recent oval events had also seen competitive action in practice before the races proved processional.
Given the lack of mileage and the rule changes, it was no surprise that the track was very busy throughout the session.
It was KV Racing's Mario Moraes who settled at the top of the timesheets for most of the afternoon, but he was usurped by first Helio Castroneves (Penske), then Dixon in the final quarter of an hour.
Moraes held on to third, ahead of Panther's Dan Wheldon and Penske's Ryan Briscoe.
Tony Kanaan was the best of the Andretti Green cars in sixth place, while noteworthy results further back included Ed Carpenter's encouraging eighth for Vision Racing and 11th place for returning owner/driver Sarah Fisher.
The cancellation of qualifying meant that the starting line-up was formed by entrant points - putting practice pacesetter Dixon on pole ahead of his Ganassi team-mate Dario Franchitti and Penske duo Briscoe and Castroneves.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Scott Dixon Ganassi 24.2807s
2. Helio Castroneves Penske 24.2956s + 0.0149s
3. Mario Moraes KV 24.3017s + 0.0210s
4. Dan Wheldon Panther 24.3036s + 0.0229s
5. Ryan Briscoe Penske 24.3342s + 0.0535s
6. Tony Kanaan Andretti Green 24.3760s + 0.0953s
7. Dario Franchitti Ganassi 24.3953s + 0.1146s
8. Ed Carpenter Vision 24.3974s + 0.1167s
9. Danica Patrick Andretti Green 24.4033s + 0.1226s
10. Marco Andretti Andretti Green 24.4480s + 0.1673s
11. Sarah Fisher Sarah Fisher 24.4646s + 0.1839s
12. Will Power Penske 24.4882s + 0.2075s
13. Graham Rahal Newman/Haas/Lanigan 24.5173s + 0.2366s
14. Ryan Hunter-Reay Foyt 24.5319s + 0.2512s
15. Hideki Mutoh Andretti Green 24.5491s + 0.2684s
16. Robert Doornbos Newman/Haas/Lanigan 24.6309s + 0.3502s
17. Tomas Scheckter Dreyer & Reinbold 24.6486s + 0.3679s
18. Mike Conway Dreyer & Reinbold 24.6796s + 0.3989s
19. Justin Wilson Coyne 24.6941s + 0.4134s
20. Milka Duno Dreyer & Reinbold 24.7103s + 0.4296s
21. EJ Viso HVM 24.7325s + 0.4518s
22. Raphael Matos Luczo Dragon 24.8158s + 0.5351s
23. Jaques Lazier 3G 25.0645s + 0.7838s