Scott Dixon was quickest again in second practice in Sao Paulo, as the difficult new street track continued to provide a stern test for the IndyCar field.
In a repeat of the first session result, Ganassi driver Dixon led the way ahead of Penske's Ryan Briscoe and Andretti Autosport's Tony Kanaan – who has been critical
of the bumpy track and its designer, Tony Cotman. Diixon's margin over the field was up to half a second this time.
Briscoe was one of several drivers to have incidents during the session, spinning and brushing the wall on the pits straight. Bumpy and dusty, the straight past the main grandstands is proving to be one of the biggest challenges on the circuit, with drivers having to feather the throttle and making constant steering corrections to keep pointing in the right direction.
While Briscoe avoided major contact in his incident, Ana Beatriz was less fortunate when she lost control near the same spot. Her Dreyer & Reinbold car hit the wall and rearranged its left-front suspension, with the session extended by 10 minutes as it took the marshals some time to retrieve the stranded Dallara-Honda.
Other incidents in the session included a very early escape road visit for Luczo Dragon/de Ferran driver Raphael Matos, spins for Dale Coyne Racing's Alex Lloyd and Andretti Autosport's Danica Patrick, and a late crash by Hideki Mutoh, who nosed his Newman/Haas/Lanigan car into the Turn 3 wall.
New team Fazzt continued to be one of the stars of the weekend, with Alex Tagliani taking fifth place behind Penske's Will Power. Andretti duo Ryan Hunter-Reay and Marco Andretti, Helio Castroneves in the third Penske, and KV teammates Mario Moraes and EJ Viso rounded out the top 10.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Scott Dixon Ganassi 1m32.7369s
2. Ryan Briscoe Penske 1m33.2471s + 0.5372s
3. Tony Kanaan Andretti 1m33.3384s + 0.6016s
4. Will Power Penske 1m33.8045s + 1.0677s
5. Alex Tagliani Fazzt 1m34.0698s + 1.3329s
6. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti 1m34.3339s + 1.5970s
7. Marco Andretti Andretti 1m34.8893s + 2.1525s
8. Helio Castroneves Penske 1m34.9522s + 2.2154s
9. Mario Moraes KV 1m35.0701s + 2.3332s
10. EJ Viso KV 1m35.0702s + 2.3333s
11. Dario Franchitti Ganassi 1m35.1564s + 2.4195s
12. Raphael Matos Luczo Dragon/de Ferran 1m35.2949s + 2.5580s
13. Simona de Silvestro HVM 1m35.4282s + 2.6913s
14. Danica Patrick Andretti 1m35.7395s + 3.0027s
15. Vitor Meira Foyt 1m35.7497s + 3.0128s
16. Hideki Mutoh Newman/Haas/Lanigan 1m35.9978s + 3.2609s
17. Dan Wheldon Panther 1m36.0740s + 3.3371s
18. Mike Conway Dreyer & Reinbold 1m36.3362s + 3.5993s
19. Takuma Sato KV 1m36.7977s + 4.0608s
20. Alex Lloyd Dale Coyne 1m36.9803s + 4.2434s
21. Justin Wilson Dreyer & Reinbold 1m36.9843s + 4.2475s
22. Mario Romancini Conquest 1m40.5845s + 7.8476s
23. Ana Beatriz Dreyer & Reinbold 1m40.8720s + 8.1351s
24. Milka Duno Dale Coyne 1m44.2048s + 11.4680s