Following six days of practice totaling 35 sun-splashed hours on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, it's time for teams to literally switch gears.
IndyCar has approved an increase in the turbocharger boost level for "Fast Friday" on May 18 and the May 19-20 time trials for the Indianapolis 500 from 130 kPa (kilopascals) to 140 kPa. The increase will add 40-50 horsepower to the 2.2-lter, turbocharged V-6 engines supplied by Chevrolet, Honda and Lotus, resulting in an increase of 4-5mph per lap. The boost level will be returned to 130 kPa for the 200-lap race May 27.
Teams/drivers continued to work on race set-ups and simulations May 17 (the session was delayed an hour at the start for Katherine Legge to start her Rookie Orientation Program).
Scott Dixon, the 2008 race winner, was quickest on the day with a lap of 40.3428 seconds (223.088mph; second-quickest of the month) in the No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing car.
Josef Newgarden, who was quickest a day earlier, was second on the speed chart (40.1115 seconds, 222.709mph) in the No. 67 Sarah Fisher Hartman/Dollar General car. Graham Rahal jumped to third late in the session with a month-best 222.080mph, and IZOD IndyCar Series championship points leader Will Power (221.932) was fourth. Justin Wilson finished fifth at 221.715.
Twenty-nine drivers recorded 1,391 laps without incident.The 2.5-mile oval is open for practice from noon-6 p.m. May 18, with Pole Day qualifying featuring the top-nine shootout commencing at noon May 19.
Pos Driver Team/Car Speed
1. Scott Dixon Ganassi DW12-Honda 223.088
2. Josef Newgarden Fisher DW12-Honda 222.709
3. Graham Rahal Ganassi DW12-Honda 222.080
4. Will Power Penske DW12-Chevrolet 221.932
5. Justin Wilson Coyne DW12-Honda 221.715
6. Ryan Briscoe Penske DW12-Chevrolet 221.510
7. Wade Cunningham Foyt DW12-Honda 221.450
8. Dario Franchitti Ganassi DW12-Honda 221.344
9. Charlie Kimball Ganassi DW12-Honda 221.321
10. JR Hildebrand Panther DW12-Chevrolet 221.022
11. Mike Conway Foyt DW12-Honda 220.900
12. Alex Tagliani BHA DW12-Honda 220.695
13. Oriol Servia Panther/DRR DW12-Chevrolet 220.643
14. Helio Castroneves Penske DW12-Chevrolet 220.598
15. Bryan Clauson Fisher DW12-Honda 220.489
16. Tony Kanaan (#11) KV DW12-Chevrolet 220.167
17. Takuma Sato Rahal DW12-Honda 219.900
18. James Jakes Coyne DW12-Honda 219.826
19. Ana Beatriz Andretti DW12-Chevrolet 219.604
20. Rubens Barrichello KV DW12-Chevrolet 219.432
21. Michel Jourdain Jr. Rahal DW12-Honda 219.152
22. Ed Carpenter Carpenter DW12-Chevrolet 219.095
23. EJ Viso KV DW12-Chevrolet 218.550
24. Townsend Bell Schmidt DW12-Honda 218.528
25. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon DW12-Chevrolet 214.715
26. Tony Kanaan (#5) KV DW12-Chevrolet 214.422
27. Jean Alesi Fan Force DW12-Lotus 207.489
28. Simona de Silvestro HVM DW12-Lotus 205.690