Russian Time teammates Tom Dillman and Sam Bird swept the front row for Saturday's GP2 race in Hungary. However, Bird's second fastest time is under investigation following an on-track incident with Caterham's Sergio Canamasas.
Dillman set his pole time of 1m28.219s early on in the 30-minute session, but while he failed to improve, such was his advantage it remained enough for the top spot.
Fabio Leimer briefly stole second for Racing Engineering, before a late improvement for Bird restored the Russian Time clean sweep.
Felipe Nasr made light of his lack of running in free practice by taking fourth for Carlin, and with James Calado back in 14th for ART and championship leader Stefano Coletti a dismal 18th for Rapax, the championship race could be thrown wide open.
There was a breakthrough performance for MP's Daniel de Jong, who set the 10th-astest time, but he will take a five-place penalty for the race. His new teammate Dani Clos will line up 23rd, one place behind the man he replaced, Adrian Quaife-Hobbs, who will be disappointed with 22nd in his first outing for Hilmer.
After setting the second best time in practice, Canamasas was only 24th in qualifying, while his Caterham teammate Alexander Rossi will line up ninth.
Marcus Ericsson and DAMS teammate Stephane Richelmi take the third row, while Jolyon Palmer qualified seventh for Carlin, despite blowing what could have been a faster effort with a late error.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Tom Dillmann Russian Time 1m28.219s
2. Sam Bird Russian Time 1m28.296s +0.077s
3. Fabio Leimer Racing Engineering 1m28.507s +0.288s
4. Felipe Nasr Carlin 1m28.679s +0.460s
5. Marcus Ericsson DAMS 1m28.709s +0.490s
6. Stephane Richelmi DAMS 1m28.753s +0.534s
7. Jolyon Palmer Carlin 1m28.802s +0.583s
8. Rio Haryanto Addax 1m28.826s +0.607s
9. Alexander Rossi Caterham 1m28.851s +0.632s
10. Daniel de Jong MP 1m28.855s +0.636s
11. Johnny Cecotto Jr Arden 1m28.927s +0.708s
12. Mitch Evans Arden 1m29.012s +0.793s
13. Nathanael Berthon Trident 1m29.020s +0.801s
14. James Calado ART 1m29.128s +0.909s
15. Jon Lancaster Hilmer 1m29.136s +0.917s
16. Jake Rosenzweig Addax 1m29.206s +0.987s
17. Simon Trummer Rapax 1m29.403s +1.184s
18. Stefano Coletti Rapax 1m29.519s +1.300s
19. Julian Leal Racing Engineering 1m29.524s +1.305s
20. Daniel Abt ART 1m29.735s +1.516s
21. Rene Binder Lazarus 1m29.742s +1.523s
22. Adrian Quaife-Hobbs Hilmer 1m29.793s +1.574s
23. Dani Clos MP 1m29.877s +1.658s
24. Sergio Canamasas Caterham 1m30.078s +1.859s
25. Vittorio Ghirelli Lazarus 1m30.251s +2.032s
26. Ricardo Teixeira Trident 1m31.254s +3.035s