Paul di Resta believes it is key for Force India to carry its late-season momentum from 2011 into the start of the upcoming season. The Scot was speaking at the launch of the team's VJM05 at Silverstone on Friday.
Force India recovered from a slow start last year to be one of the on-form teams by the end of the campaign, and di Resta believes that it can take another step in the competitive order providing it starts well this year.
"The big thing we're going for is a stronger start than last year, because the momentum at the end of the year was incredible," he said. "I think the guys should be very proud of what they've achieved.
"We're still on a buzz from that and it would be great to start where we left off. We were very close to coming fifth as a constructor last year and we met our ambition of coming sixth. We want to do better, that's the main focus. We'll just keep pushing on."
The former DTM champion added that he knows he will be under more pressure in his second season as he is more experienced and has a new teammate in Nico Hulkenberg and a new reserve driver in Ferrari Academy driver Jules Bianchi.
"I think there's always pressure in any sport but yeah there's a little more as I'm not a rookie anymore," he said. "There is that nature there to try and beat your team-mate, but we're there to represent Force India and you need to look at the whole team.
"[The threat of a reserve driver] always concerns you, because how stable is Formula 1 at the moment? You need to focus on your own driving. But one thing you can say about what Force India have done – it's a great way to get involved in Formula 1."