Frenchman Mike di Meglio has taken his maiden 250cc pole position ahead of tomorrow's Indianapolis Grand Prix.
The reigning 125cc world champion, who crashed his Aspar Aprilia with just eight minutes remaining in the 45-minute session, snatched pole in the final seconds thanks to a 1m44.341s lap, which pushed Scot Honda's Hiroshi Aoyama down to second.
The Japanese, who at that point had been leading proceedings for only two minutes, managed to improve his time on his last lap, but it was still 0.120s too slow.
Despite crashing his Gilera twice in the session, Marco Simoncelli still qualified third ahead of Pepe Aprilia's Hector Barbera.
The second row of the grid, completely filled by Aprilia machinery, will be headed by Jules Cluzel (Matteoni), ahead of Alvaro Bautista (Aspar), Mattia Pasini (Toth), and Alex Debon (Blusens).
The latter also crashed on the same bump that saw di Meglio and Simoncelli dropping their bikes.
Pos Rider Bike Time
1. Mike Di Meglio Aprilia 1m44.341s
2. Hiroshi Aoyama Honda 1m44.461s + 0.120s
3. Marco Simoncelli Gilera 1m44.553s + 0.212s
4. Hector Barbera Aprilia 1m44.625s + 0.284s
5. Jules Cluzel Aprilia 1m44.860s + 0.519s
6. Alvaro Bautista Aprilia 1m44.955s + 0.614s
7. Mattia Pasini Aprilia 1m45.158s + 0.817s
8. Alex Debon Aprilia 1m45.192s + 0.851s
9. R.Wilairot Honda 1m45.396s + 1.055s
10. Hector Faubel Honda 1m45.438s + 1.097s
11. Lukas Pesek Aprilia 1m45.439s + 1.098s
12. R.Locatelli Gilera 1m45.560s + 1.219s
13. Alex Baldolini Aprilia 1m45.778s + 1.437s
14. Thomas Luthi Aprilia 1m46.177s + 1.836s
15. Raffaele De Rosa Honda 1m46.195s + 1.854s
16. Karel Abraham Aprilia 1m46.908s + 2.567s
17. Valentin Debise Honda 1m47.838s + 3.497s
18. Axel Pons Aprilia 1m48.458s + 4.117s
19. Imre Toth Aprilia 1m48.650s + 4.309s
20. Balazs Nemeth Aprilia 1m49.143s + 4.802s
21. Vladimir Leonov Aprilia 1m49.807s + 5.466s
22. Bastien Chesaux Honda 1m49.888s + 5.547s
23. Adam Roberts Yamaha 1m51.296s + 6.955s
24. Barrett Long Yamaha 1m52.154s + 7.813s