Gil de Ferran and Simon Pagenaud clinched their third consecutive victory for Acura in the American Le Mans Series at Lime Rock Park on Saturday.
The led from pole position in the early stages but there was a close fight with the Highcroft Racing Acura of David Brabham and Scott Sharp, and the latter pair snatched the lead at the final round of pitstops.
Brabham was set to take the victory for Highcroft with Pagenaud admitting he couldn't chase down the lead car in final stint, but a puncture 13 minutes from the end forced the Australian to pit for new tyres and allowed the de Ferran car to regain its lead. Just 43 seconds separated the two cars at the flag.
"I honestly didn't have the pace to come back on him," said Pagenaud said. "I am going to remember this race forever. I think my heart rate was at maximum all race because of the traffic and the ending."
Brabham added: "Today was a bit of a roller coaster but I am not too disappointed because we did everything we needed to do in this race. We got ourselves in front and I had the race under control, but unfortunately I got a puncture and when the competition is that close you can't afford to have anything like that happen."
Johnny Mowlem and Stefan Johansson completed the podium in their Corsa Motorsports Ginetta-Zytek's first outing in its full hybrid configuration.
Dyson Racing took its first class victory in the ALMS since 2005, with Butch Leitzinger and Marino Franchitti beating the Fernandez Racing Acura of Adrian Fernandez and Luis Diaz - which had won the P2 class for the last four races.
Fernandez led initially, but had to pit for a new rear shock absorber and lost six laps to the Dyson car. There was a late scare for the winners though, when Leitzinger stalled the car while avoiding a spinning GT2 runner, but he was able to rejoin quickly.
Jorg Bergmeister and Patrick Long took their fourth straight GT2 class win in their Flying Lizards Porsche, a lap ahead the Risi Competizione Ferrari 430 of Jaime Melo and Pierre Kaffer.
Pos Drivers Car Time/Gap
1. Gil de Ferran/Simon Pagenaud Acura 2h45m14.053s
2. David Brabham/Scott Sharp Acura +43.776
3. Johnny Mowlem/Stefan Johansson Ginetta-Zytek +7 laps
4. Butch Leitzinger/Marino Franchitti Lola-Mazda +12 laps
5. Jorg Bergmeister/Patrick Long Porsche +17 laps
6. Tony Burgess/Chris McMurry Lola-AER +18 laps
7. Adrian Fernandez/Luis Diaz Acura +18 laps
8. Jaime Melo/Pierre Kaffer Ferrari +18 laps
9. Joey Hand/Bill Auberlen BMW +18 laps
10. Wolf Henzler/Bryce Miller Porsche +19 laps
11. Richard Westbrook/Johannes Stuck Porsche +21 laps
12. Dominik Farnbacher/Ian James Panoz-Ford +21 laps
13. Johannes van Overbeek/Seth Neiman Porsche +25 laps
14. Joel Feinberg/Chris Hall Dodge +26 laps
15. G.van der Steur/Adam Pecorari Radical-AER +27 laps
16. D. Robertson/A. Robertson/D. Murry Ford +31 laps
17. Wesley Hoaglund/Bob Faieta Porsche +35 laps
18. Ed Brown/Bill Sweedler Porsche +38 laps
19. Nick Parker/Don Pickering Porsche +40 laps
20. Martin Snow/Melanie Snow Porsche +42 laps
21. Dirk Müller/Tom Milner BMW +42 laps
J. Field/C. Field/C. Ducote Lola-AER 38 laps
Chris Dyson/Guy Smith Lola-Mazda 63 laps
John Baker/Guy Cosmo Porsche 52 laps