Alex de Angelis has shown his fourth place on the Indianapolis grid is no fluke by surprisingly leading the warm-up.
The rider from San Marino left it to the very last lap to shoot to the top with his Gresini Honda thanks to an impressive 1m40.446s lap that ruined what had been Dani Pedrosa's perfect weekend.
The factory Honda rider, who dominated qualifying after also topping all practice sessions, was leading the 20-minute warm-up when he took the chequered flag, but that was before being pushed down to second by de Angelis.
The Spaniard thus ended up 0.043sec behind, but his main rivals, namely Yamaha riders Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi, were still behind.
The two, who will join Pedrosa on the front row later today, ended the session respectively in third and fourth place but, most importantly, their gaps to the triple world champion have shrunk to less than three tenths of a second.
Toni Elias, in the second Gresini Honda, was fifth fastest, eight tenths behind his team-mate, but ahead of home favourites Nicky Hayden (Ducati) and Colin Edwards (Tech 3 Yamaha).
Italians Marco Melandri (Hayate Kawasaki), Andrea Dovizioso (Honda), and Loris Capirossi (Suzuki) round up the top ten.
Pramac Ducati's Niccolo Canepa crashed in the dying seconds of the session while stand-in team-mate Aleix Espargaro managed to end up 15th after beating Suzuki's Chris Vermeulen and Scot Honda's Gabor Talmacsi.
Pos Rider Team Time Laps
1. Alex de Angelis Gresini Honda 1m40.446s 12
2. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m40.489s + 0.043s 12
3. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m40.717s + 0.271s 12
4. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m40.759s + 0.313s 12
5. Toni Elias Gresini Honda 1m41.308s + 0.862s 12
6. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m41.352s + 0.906s 12
7. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 1m41.436s + 0.990s 12
8. Marco Melandri Hayate Kawasaki 1m41.535s + 1.089s 12
9. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m41.719s + 1.273s 12
10. Loris Capirossi Suzuki 1m41.990s + 1.544s 12
11. Randy de Puniet LCR Honda 1m42.260s + 1.814s 11
12. Niccolo Canepa Pramac Ducati 1m42.515s + 2.069s 11
13. James Toseland Tech 3 Yamaha 1m42.534s + 2.088s 11
14. Mika Kallio Ducati 1m42.547s + 2.101s 11
15. Aleix Espargaro Pramac Ducati 1m42.581s + 2.135s 12
16. Chris Vermeulen Suzuki 1m42.794s + 2.348s 10
17. Gabor Talmacsi Scot Honda 1m43.105s + 2.659s 12