Will Davison stretched his V8 Supercars points lead by taking his third victory of the 2012 season on the streets of Hamilton in New Zealand.
The Ford Performance Racing driver came through from sixth on the grid to win, as champion Jamie Whincup beat polesitter Garth Tander (Holden Racing Team) to second, and Whincup's Triple Eight Holden team-mate Craig Lowndes chased them home.
Davison had vaulted from sixth to second amid a wild opening lap that saw top three qualifiers Tander, Shane van Gisbergen and David Reynolds trading paint through the first few corners. Tander went from first to third and back again, while van Gisbergen picked up steering damage that would consign him to a 22nd-place finish.
Tander and Davison broke away in a private lead battle for much of the race, joined briefly by Davison's team-mate Mark Winterbottom, who gained ground in the first pit stops but had to pit for steering repairs soon after.
Davison stalked Tander until lap 27 of 59, when he squeezed down the inside into Turn 1. The FPR man would hold the lead to the flag, despite a safety car period following a crash for Alexandre Premat's Garry Rogers Holden squeezing the pack back together.
Davison withstood some challenges from Tander after the restart, before pulling clear as Whincup – who swiftly recovered from stalling at his first pit stop – battled with Tander and grabbed second with three laps to go.
Tander fended off Lowndes to the flag. Reynolds had been running between them until picking up suspension damage just seven laps from the flag.
Kelly Racing's Rick Kelly came through from 14th on the grid to fifth, ahead of Steve Owen (Dick Johnson Ford) and James Courtney, who also made great progress after qualifying his HRT car only 17th.
Holden trio Michael Caruso (GRM), Fabian Coulthard (Brad Jones Racing) and Russell Ingall (Walkinshaw) completed the top 10.
Results - 59 laps:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Will Davison FPR Ford
2. Jamie Whincup Triple 8 Holden + 2.5284s
3. Garth Tander HRT Holden + 4.5182s
4. Craig Lowndes Triple 8 Holden + 4.8260s
5. Rick Kelly Kelly Holden + 21.2939s
6. Steve Owen Dick Johnson Ford + 23.5804s
7. James Courtney HRT Holden + 25.1856s
8. Michael Caruso Garry Rogers Holden + 25.4572s
9. Fabian Coulthard Brad Jones Holden + 25.8225s
10. Russell Ingall Walkinshaw Holden + 26.0666s
11. Steven Johnson Dick Johnson Ford + 26.8943s
12. Jason Bright Brad Jones Holden + 30.2993s
13. Lee Holdsworth Stone Brothers Ford + 32.0738s
14. Todd Kelly Kelly Holden + 32.3014s
15. Tim Slade Rosenberg/SBR Ford + 32.5842s
16. Dean Fiore Triple F Ford + 36.9982s
17. Michael Patrizi Tekno Holden + 39.2890s
18. Tony D'Alberto D'Alberto Ford + 52.1136s
19. Jonathon Webb Tekno Holden + 59.6247s
20. Taz Douglas Dumbrell Holden + 1m03.7718s
21. David Wall Britek/BJR Holden + 1 lap
22. Shane van Gisbergen Stone Brothers Ford + 1 lap
23. Mark Winterbottom FPR Ford + 2 laps
David Reynolds Rod Nash/FPR Ford 52 laps
Karl Reindler Kelly Holden 39 laps
Alexandre Premat Garry Rogers Holden 36 laps
Greg Murphy Kelly Holden 29 laps
James Moffat Dick Johnson Ford 17 laps