Will Davison denied Jamie Whincup pole position in the top-10 qualifying shoot-out for the 2012 Bathurst 1000.
Ford Performance Racing driver Davison was the sixth man to try for pole after going fourth fastest in Friday's initial qualifying session. He set a 2m08.0693s lap to take provisional pole, and although championship leader and Friday pacesetter Whincup was ahead of Davison at the opening splits, he fell short by 0.0315 second over the lap.
Shane van Gisbergen put Stone Brothers among the lead pack in third, ahead of Whincup's main title rival Mark Winterbottom in the second FPR car.
Fabian Coulthard could not quite repeat his superb second place for Brad Jones Racing in first qualifying but still claimed a very respectable fifth. Last year's Bathurst winners Garth Tander and Nick Percat line up sixth, followed by Tim Slade and David Reynolds.
Whincup's Triple Eight teammate Craig Lowndes had a disappointing lap and was a second off the pace in ninth.
Steve Owen completed the top 10 in the only Dick Johnson car to make the shootout.
The remainder of the starting order was set in Friday's qualifying session.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Will Davison FPR Ford 2m08.0693s
2. Jamie Whincup Triple 8 Holden 2m08.1008s + 0.0315s
3. Shane van Gisbergen Stone Brothers Ford 2m08.1791s + 0.1098s
4. Mark Winterbottom FPR Ford 2m08.1963s + 0.1270s
5. Fabian Coulthard Brad Jones Holden 2m08.3385s + 0.2692s
6. Garth Tander HRT Holden 2m08.4755s + 0.4062s
7. Tim Slade Rosenberg/SBR Ford 2m08.5995s + 0.5302s
8. David Reynolds Rod Nash/FPR Ford 2m08.8866s + 0.8173s
9. Craig Lowndes Triple 8 Holden 2m09.0997s + 1.0304s
10. Steve Owen Paul Morris/DJR Ford 2m10.0723s + 2.0030s