Holden Racing Team's Will Davison dominated the first race of the Norton 360 Sandown Challenge at Sandown Raceway, taking his first victory for Holden Racing Team.
Davison lost a place at the start to Whincup but passed him back on lap three, Davison then steadily extending his margin as he along with most of the front-runners chose to run the sprint tyre in today's race.
Second was James Courtney, who ran third for most of the race but benefitted from being the first of the leaders to pit as well a slow pitstop for Whincup. Craig Lowndes was close behind Courtney as the laps ticked off but wasn't able to make a move.
After starting tenth, fourth was a great result for Todd Kelly, up to seventh by the end of lap one and steadily making moves up the order from there. He led home a train of three other cars, with Michael Caruso, the delayed Jamie Whincup and a charging Russell Ingall who had taken the sprint tyres on at his pitstop.
Steven Johnson, David Reynolds and Fabian Coulthard completed the top ten runners, Johnson and Coulthard running strongly early on before their tyres faded as the laps wound down.
A decision to keep Mark Winterbottom out as long as possible as rain threatened possibly hurt him a little, finishing just outside the top ten in 12th place, while Garth Tander's qualifying error proved costly, only able to recover up to 17th place, Tander taking that position on the run to the chequered flag.
Pos Driver Make Time
1. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE 39:34.9720
2. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG + 6.4203
3. Craig Lowndes Ford Falcon FG + 7.4804
4. Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE + 18.3624
5. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE + 18.7770
6. Jamie Whincup Ford Falcon FG + 19.1045
7. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE + 19.4536
8. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG + 24.9205
9. David Reynolds Holden Commodore VE + 25.5358
10. Fabian Coulthard Ford Falcon FG + 27.6236
11. Greg Murphy Holden Commodore VE + 30.9911
12. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG + 32.6254
13. Jack Perkins Holden Commodore VE + 40.0854
14. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG + 46.9630
15. Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG + 47.8335
16. Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG + 48.3597
17. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE + 51.0232
18. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE + 51.0959
19. Jason Richards Holden Commodore VE + 51.2337
20. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE + 53.7435
21. Tim Slade Holden Commodore VE + 59.2802
22. Cameron McConville Holden Commodore VE +1:03.5713
23. Paul Dumbrell Holden Commodore VE + 1 lap
24. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE + 1 lap
25. Dean Fiore Holden Commodore VE + 1 lap
26. Mark McNally Holden Commodore VE + 1 lap
Driver Make Laps
Jason Bright Ford Falcon FG 28
Michael Patrizi Ford Falcon BF 27