Peugeot's Anthony Davidson scorched to pole position in qualifying for tomorrow's Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta.
The British driver needed just four laps to record a lap of 1m07.187s that secured his place at the top of the times. Teammate Pedro Lamy needed a bit longer to lock up the front row for the 908s, setting a best lap of 1m07.409s.
Benoit Treluyer was the top Audi driver. He dipped below the 1m08s mark too, coming within 0.2 second of getting on the front row. Following a total rebuild after final practice the second Audi of Rinaldo Capello was back in fourth, half a second slower than the sister car.
It was a battle royal in P2, with Briton Guy Smith getting his Dyson Lola-Mazda onto class pole. Just two tenths covered the top three, with the CytoSport Porsche of Klaus Graf second and the Highcroft HPD of David Brabham third. LMPC pole went to Lius Diaz of PR1. Jaime Melo grabbed the GT pole for Ferrari, pipping teammate Gianmaria Bruni by just under 0.2s.
Behind the leading Risi cars it was a great showing for the Extreme Speed Motorsports team. Guy Cosmo came within 0.009sec of a class front row, while teammate Johannes van Overbeek was just 0.02sec back, demonstrating that the 430 is the car to beat around Road Atlanta.
The BMW of Dirk Muller was the quickest non-Ferrari in fifth. The Rahal Letterman driver almost half a second shy of pole. Jan Magnussen was the top Corvette qualifier, lining up sixth, just ahead of the sister car of Olivier Beretta.
The Flying Lizard entry of Patrick Long was the leading Porsche in eighth, followed by the fastest Ford GT, the Robertson Racing car with David Murry at the wheel. Just one of the two RSR Jaguars made it out in qualifying, Marc Goosens setting the 13th fastest time in class, a fraction over three seconds off Melo.
Dutch all-rounder Jeroen Bleekemolen took GTC pole for Black Swan Racing, while the Porsche hybrid-powered car failed to make it out on track for qualifying.
Pos Cl Drivers Car Time Gap
1. P1 Gene/Wurz/Davidson Peugeot 1m07.187s
2. P1 Lamy/Montagny/Sarrazin Peugeot 1m07.409s + 0.222s
3. P1 Fassler/Lotterer/Treluyer Audi 1m07.610s + 0.423s
4. P1 Capello/Kristensen/McNish Audi 1m08.112s + 0.925s
5. P1 Field/Field Lola 1m10.128s + 2.941s
6. P2 Dyson/Smith/Meyrick Lola-Mazda 1m10.417s + 3.230s
7. P2 Graf/Maassen/Luhr Porsche 1m10.548s + 3.361s
8. P2 Brabham/Pagenaud/Franchitti HPD 1m10.661s + 3.474s
9. P1 Willman/Burgess/McMurry Lola 1m14.109s + 6.922s
10. PC Gonzalez/Diaz/Lewis ORECA 1m15.296s + 8.109s
11. PC Jeannette/Zugel/Julian ORECA 1m15.525s + 8.338s
12. PC Marcelli/Ducote/Ducote ORECA 1m15.610s + 8.423s
13. P2 Nicolet/Da Rocha/Lafargue Pescarolo 1m15.989s + 8.802s
14. PC Montecalvo/Lux/Figge ORECA 1m16.250s + 9.063s
15. PC Tucker/Bouchut/Wilkins ORECA 1m16.483s + 9.296s
16. PC Tucker/Werner/Frisselle ORECA 1m18.342s + 11.155s
17. GT2 Fisichella/Melo/Salo Ferrari 1m19.889s + 12.702s
18. GT2 Vilander/Bruni Ferrari 1m20.070s + 12.883s
19. GT2 Brown/Cosmo/Barbosa Ferrari 1m20.165s + 12.978s
20. GT2 Sharp/van Overbeek/Farnbacher Ferrari 1m20.185s + 12.998s
21. GT2 Muller/Hand/Priaulx BMW 1m20.322s + 13.135s
22. GT2 Gavin/Magnussen/Collard Corvette 1m20.598s + 13.411s
23. GT2 O'Connell/Beretta/Garcia Corvette 1m20.675s + 13.488s
24. GT2 Bergmeister/Long/Lieb Porsche 1m20.768s + 13.581s
25. GT2 Murry/Bell/Lazzaro Doran Ford 1m20.777s + 13.590s
26. GT2 Auberlen/Milner/Werner BMW 1m20.812s + 13.625s
27. GT2 Sellers/Ragginger Porsche 1m21.560s + 14.373s
28. GT2 Robertson/Robertson/Stanton Doran Ford 1m21.619s + 14.432s
29. P2 Prendeville/Toivonen/Dempsey Radical 1m21.820s + 14.633s
30. GT2 Gentilozzi/Dalziel/Goossens Jaguar 1m22.898s + 15.711s
31. GT2 Law/Neiman/Holzer Porsche 1m24.887s + 17.700s
32. GTC Pappas/Bleekemolen/Bleekemolen Porsche 1m25.141s + 17.954s
33. GTC Ende/Lally/Richard Porsche 1m25.364s + 18.177s
34. GTC Potter/Davis/Eversley Porsche 1m25.482s + 18.295s
35. GTC Lewis/Vento/Aschenbach Porsche 1m25.746s + 18.559s
36. GTC Sweedler/Kapudija/Lueders Porsche 1m26.300s + 19.113s
37. GTC Rodriguez/Bieker Porsche 1m26.628s + 19.441s
38. GTC Miller/Hines/Ehret Porsche 1m26.874s + 19.687s
39. GTC Beggs/Baron/Villeneuve Porsche 1m27.713s + 20.526s
40. P1 Drayson/Cocker/Pirro Lola
41. GT2 Davis/Said/Bell Doran Ford
42. GT2 Leitzinger/Drissi/Wallace Jaguar
43. GT2 James/Leuenberger Panoz
44. PC Downs/Downs/Downs ORECA
45. GTH Bernhard/Dumas/Rockenfeller Porsche